My Pace

Minghao had learned to hate a lot of things about his Addison's disease, and one of the biggest was his seizures. To add another dimension to this hatred, Minghao hated it when inexperienced people tried to help him.

Usually, he would have Junhui or Seungcheol with him, if not them at least a member of his group. Inexperienced people tended to lead to things like concussions, broken bones and torn muscles, which meant a lot longer recovery for Minghao.

Sometimes, he got injured, even with Junhui helping him. Seizures were unpredictable. Minghao knew that.

One thing that always helped Minghao after a seizure was giving him his time to wake up at his own pace and it was something that inexperienced people didn't think to do.

People who were used to helping Minghao would prop him up a little and keep him on his side but would let him wake up at his own pace. People who weren't used to helping Minghao tried to get him to stand up and open his eyes as soon as possible, even when he didn't have enough strength to lift his own head.

It was for this reason that Minghao hated manager changes, especially when it was the performance unit manager.

Their old manager was pretty good at dealing with Minghao's seizures, mainly because he usually just stood around and let Junhui help him, keeping his phone nearby in case Minghao needed an ambulance.

Something Minghao discovered pretty quickly was that their new manager wasn't as kind as that.

They were in practice when it happened, only the performance unit around, getting used to having Junhui back after his full recovery and getting out of the wheelchair for the first time in months.

The symptoms had come on a lot quicker than normal, Minghao getting dizzy right in the middle of a dance. Knowing they only had another few minutes to go, Minghao carried on until the end of the song, when his body gave in and he fell to the floor with a thud.

Junhui, Soonyoung and Chan were instantly by his side, Soonyoung gently shaking his shoulder and Junhui pulling his head into his lap just in time for his body to tense up.

The manager didn't even notice anything wrong until Chan yelled at him, he had been too engrossed in his phone. When Chan yelled at him to grab Minghao's bag, he complied, but when he reached the boys, he pushed them all away, even Junhui. Manager Kim muttered something about an epileptic cousin and started to pin Minghao to the ground, yelling at Chan to help him or they'd all get extra practice.

Not wanting to hurt Minghao and knowing what happened when Minghao got restrained during a seizure, he tried to pin Minghao as gently as possible, not holding him down as strongly as Manager Kim and letting Minghao's arms move, only protecting him when his wrist moved down to hit the floor to stop him breaking his wrists.

Manager Kim on the other hand, kept Minghao strongly pinned, keeping Minghao's wrists caged between his hands and the floor and not worrying when Minghao's wrist cracked down on the floor. He started demanding that Soonyoung make Junhui leave the room when the Chinese boy started screaming profanities at him, claiming that he'd make their lives a living hell if Soonyoung refused.

Junhui put up a good fight but was overpowered and dragged from the room by a reluctant Soonyoung.

"Soonie, he'd gonna hurt Minghao. He's gonna hurt him real bad." Junhui argued, Soonyoung nodding and brushing his hair back.

"I know, Hyung. I know, but he'll keep yelling at us. He's twice our size, we can't overpower him. Just do as he wants and we'll have a serious conversation with the management team later, yeah?"

Junhui wiped away tears and nodded, sitting on the floor beside the closed door.

Manager Kim still had Minghao pinned to the ground, even after Minghao's arm had made an awful popping noise and Chan started sobbing, refusing to hold Minghao down anymore. Instead of giving up, Manager Kim pinned Minghao's other arm down, ignoring the sound of Minghao starting to choke on his own saliva, struggling to breathe even though his body was forcing him to draw in short, shallow gasps of air. Worst of all, Minghao's dark, plush lips were turning blue.