New Experiences

Something Minghao had always despised, especially since Manager Kim and that whole experience, was new people taking care of him during seizures.

He knew that anybody taking care of him was genuinely scared and worried for him, but sometimes their actions were costly for Minghao.

Having had hypoglycaemic seizures for around eight years, Minghao would have thought that all his members knew how to look after him, but he hadn't thought about the fact that it was usually Seungcheol, Jeonghan, Junhui or Mingyu who helped during seizures, the four members he was closest to. A few of the members, Chan, Vernon, Seungkwan, Seokmin, and Jihoon, had very little to no experience.

Jihoon had been with him during his seizure alone in the practice rooms, but he had called Seungcheol for help and hadn't helped since. Seungkwan, Vernon and Chan, as the youngest, hadn't been trusted to take care of Minghao and they had never been in a situation where they were forced to help, until one day when everyone except the four Maknaes were left in the dorm.

There was a note pinned up on the board in the kitchen with instructions on how to give Minghao his injections, what blood sugar readings were low, vague instructions on how to help during seizures and emergency numbers like Minghao's doctor's number.

They had been pinned up there since Minghao had told the group, but whenever Minghao was without either Junhui or Seungcheol, they were highlighted by a brightly coloured post-it with the words 'FOR EMERGENCIES' written on it in big letters.

Minghao had been in the dorm without Junhui or Seungcheol a few times, but normally he took better care of himself.

This time, he had a lie-in - his first mistake - and missed his medications - his second mistake. He had also skipped breakfast because of his lie-in - his third mistake - and he had been in his room alone - his fourth mistake.

When Vernon went into his room to wake Minghao up, he found the Chinese boy on the floor looking weak, tired and distressed.

His glucometer was on the floor beside him, and his injection kits were on his desk.

Vernon quickly called out for the other two, who rushed into the room.

"Vernon... 'M gonna have a seizure." Minghao slurred, eyes threatening to slip shut.

Vernon shook his head, watching as Chan rushed out to get the emergency instructions and Seungkwan moved the injections closer.

"No, you're not. We'll give you your shots. Just let Chan get the instructions. We've never done this before, Hao."

It was mere seconds after Vernon finished that Minghao's eyes rolled back in his head and his body tensed up, starting to thrash violently on the floor.

"Kwan, grab his pillow," Vernon ordered Seungkwan, taking the pillow from the elder and stuffing it under Minghao's head. "Hyung said his bags were under the desk."

Seungkwan grabbed the bags, moving them beside Minghao while Vernon kept a hand on Minghao's forehead.

Chan soon rushed back into the room, holding the instructions.

"Turn him up on his side and make sure his breathing is clear." Chan read off the paper, watching as Vernon and Seungkwan moved into action, pulling Minghao onto his side and holding him still.

"Aren't you meant to use, like, a spoon or something? You know, to stop him swallowing his tongue?" Seungkwan asked, looking up at Chan while trying to hold Minghao's jerking arm as still as possible.

Chan cocked his head, scanning over the sheet. "It doesn't say anything about that."

"Let's do it just in case. We can't be too safe." Vernon said, directing Chan to grab a small spoon from the kitchen.