Chapter Four

Five Years Later

What do all murders have in common? The victim. The victim everyone wants to spoil and take care of and shower in gifts. I wouldn't say I was the most popular kid in school. I ran with my own flow and crammed myself in between cliches. So when my attempted murder took place, only a handful of people cared. One being Caley.

Caley, someone I can rely on. The only person to see me every single day for a round of coffee and a walk around the Space Needle.

Her bright blonde curly locks drape out of of her white knitted beanie, a ball of fur on top moving around with every movement. Her curls cascade down her white jacket and over the brown fur on the hood. I smile and walk up to her, reaching her coffee out. "Duchess." I say. She whips around and smiles at me brightly. "Thanks, Tess!" She says, pulling me into a side hug.

"Any plans when you get off work?" Caley asks, sipping her white chocolate macchiato.

"Eh, probably will just go home and do the usual. Netflix with the least amount of chill possible." I say.

Caley sighs and has a little skip in her step, in a daze she looks ahead. "What's got you in a bright princess mood?" I ask her. We stop for a moment right in front of the needle. Typically would be a busy part of Seattle but on a cold snowy day like this, no one is around. It's almost eerie.

"I think Jason is going to finally propose!" She exclaims, squealing. I can't help but roll my eyes. "Jason already proposed though," I say. I remember very clearly. It was our graduation and I had to be wheeled in a wheelchair to get my diploma. Right after Jason got down on his knee for Caley. I mean I don't care I live in my ex's shadow, it's whatever. At least I get a decent girlfriend out of it.

"Yeah, but I got cold feet and I wanted to explore my life, and enjoy not being tied down in a picket-fenced house. But now I realize that I really do truly love him and I want to be his wife!" She says. Her green eyes look at me so brightly, her mascara a stream of black with blues and purples on her lids. She loops her arm in mine and we continue walking.

"Just so you know I am still not good at the whole maid of honor thing, if you ask me again," I say. She smirks and nudges me. "Awe come on, you would be great at it." I roll my head in her direction and give her a look, almost scoffing. "If someone ever found me even remotely attractive and idiotically wanted to put a ring on my finger, I would walk down the aisle in a white suit," I tell her. I would, I totally would.

"You would look good in a suit. We need to go to that suit place! They have skirts for me and suits for you! Come on!" She says. I don't know how someone's smile could keep getting wider but hers does. Very wide almost like the Cheshire Cat. Just... not as creepy.

"Yeah, we should," I say, taking a sip of my own coffee.

"So, when is your next group session?" She asks, after a long defeating pause. I stop in my tracks and look at her, almost unable to believe she would even ask. "Why? You think I need to just move on too?" I ask. "Caley, I was almost killed," I say.

Caley sighs and grabs my arm. "No, of course, Tess. I don't think that. It's just... you're tangling a dangerous web here that I don't know if you can untangle on your own. You fell into a deep dark depression." She says. She strokes my arm slowly. "You need help."

I try not to roll my eyes but I do it anyways, unable to stop myself. Especially when I see the six-foot boy toy of a man she calls her boyfriend walking towards us. "Caley, darling." He says, basically pushing me out of the way with his shoulder to embrace her.

I pull my hands up, turning my heels to walk away.

"Oh, Tess! Wait up!" Caley calls. I hear her shove Jason before running after me. I am a sucker for Caley and can't exactly say no. So I stop in my tracks and turn to face her. She immediately throws her arms around me in a hug. "He's an asshat sometimes." She says. I laugh, hugging her back. I glance up at Jason as he stares at me blankly. "What do you see in him?" I ask.

She pulls away from me, cupping my cheeks. "One day you will see the real him. He's just overprotective, that's all." She says.

Like that's supposed to make this better.

Ever since... the incident Jason can barely even hold a conversation with me. It's been five years, and I am fine. Even though he thinks I am just a walking talking ball of depressive mess.

"I'll get you for dinner, babe," Jason says as he approaches us again. He gives Caley a kiss on the head before walking off. Caley whips around and snaps her fingers at him. "Ahem! Tess!" She yells, pointing at me before throwing an arm around me. Jason grumbles and looks up to the heavens. "Tess, do you want to join us for dinner?" He asks.

"Considering just how excited you seem at the idea I think I better not. Wouldn't want you to get too excited." I say.

Caley snorts as Jason glares at me, a smile cracking when Caley's snorts get louder. "Fine. Please. Come?" He says.

I cock my head and even Caley looks surprised. "Jason Walsh said please? To me? Wow."

I can practically see Caley mentally rolling her eyes at this point. "Fineee. But I want Chinese. And not your fancy Chinese. Real Chinese out of a box." I say.

"Well, that's offensive somewhere." Caley sighs, patting my arm. "Sounds fun! Alright, group! Break!" She says, smiling.

"I was thinking the Plaza," Jason says.

I groan.

Caley nudges me.

"But boxed Chinese," I whine, sticking my lip into a pout.

"But my digestive system." Jason mocks.

I grumble into the sky. "Fine. Plaza it is." I say.

"See you then, Gomez," Jason says.

"Chow!" I say, saluting Jason as I follow after Caley.