Chapter Five

Ring. Again.

I glance up at Caley as she angrily looks at the screaming phone beside her.  "I'll get it," I say, reaching for my ringing phone.

"Don't it's fine. I got it." She says, taking a deep breath and answering "Jefferson Law 'where yesterday's pain is today's gain', this is Caley how can I assist you today?" She asks. She makes her fingers into a gun shape and holds it to her temple before pretending to blow her brains out.

I laugh, looking back at my double monitors to enter in the last of the schedule for this week. I hear Caley sigh as she slams the phone down. "Scam." She says.

"The same ones as last week?" I ask, my eyes remaining on my monitor.

"Yeah, except they were asking questions about a Charlotte." She says.

My blood stops in my veins when she says that. "Caley?" I ask. She 'hmm's in response. "Charlotte Xiana?" I ask.

Caley looks up to meet my eyes. "Yeah is she a client?" She asks. I gulp the dry spit in my mouth. "The bathroom, Cal," I say she cocks her head at me, looking at our bathroom. "No, no," I say. "The bathroom," I say.

Caley gives me the smile that if anyone else gave it to me I'd slap them. The pity look. She gets up and walks over to my desk. Sliding her hand over on top of mine. "It's probably another Charlotte Xiana, hun." She says.

I smile before pulling my hand away shyly. "You're probably right," I say. She gives me a quick side hug before walking away.

Then my phone rings beside me and I pick it up and answer in my monotone voice. Jefferson Law 'Yesterday's pain is apparently today's gain', this is Tess how can I help you today?" I ask.

"Tessieeeee." Thomas' voice fills the phone.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask. Before I can say anything else our boss walks in. "No personal calls remember?" He says, pointing at the phone. Thomas asks me something but I don't hear it.

"Sorry Mr. Jefferson, this is someone of our generation on the phone. Trying to relate." I say. "Better communication," I say, shrugging. Caley pops her head up, her on hold with someone on her phone. "Yeah! It's best to communicate with one another how we normally do to avoid so much confusion. Lawyer terminology is hard to understand sometimes." She says, smiling. She's always been the favorite and is always the favorite wherever she goes.

"Thank you Ms. Rogers for your insight, but I do prefer the usual method of client communication. Thank you." He says before walking back into his glass office down the way. I smile at Caley and mouth a 'thank you.'

I turn back to the phone and try and curl up into the wall the best I can. "Hey, sorry boss caught me."

"Told you she got hung up on that asshat." Kyler says in the background. I laugh trying to remain quiet.

"I am kind of at work right now boys," I say.

"Yeah, we know. But Kyler got his hand stuck in the washing machine tube, you know for fabric softener-"

"She knows what the tube is, Thomas." I hear Kyler bellow in the background. I sigh and look at Caley, who is now off the phone. "Need me to come?" I ask, loud enough for Caley to hear. She does and immediately looks my way.

"Yeah, if you wouldn't mind. I can probably get him unstuck but I need an extra set of hands." He says. I reach under my desk and grab my bag and start shutting my computer off.

"I'll be there in 45 minutes with some butter and a lot of questions," I say before hanging the phone up. I look at Caley as she raises an eyebrow at me.