Chapter 11

Movement flashes before me. The man bolts for it. The bullet flies out of the gun and hits him in the leg. He stumbles but keeps running. It doesn't take long for Jason to grab ahold of him and pin him down.

Never get on a quarterback's bad side.

"Tess! Over here please!" Jason yells. I walk over, the gun still drawn and pointed down. Jason turns the man over, gripping him by the shirt. "Where did you shoot Caley? Where!" He yells.

The guy scrambles, trying to fight back. "Where did you shoot my girlfriend?!" He yells again.

"The chest and arm," I answer, numbly. I remember all too well. Every sound. Every movement. Everything.

"Then that is what you get," Jason growls at the man.

"Jason we can't! I know what your thinking!" I yell.

"Awe, you are scared." The man blurts before Jason can speak. "Don't worry, you'll eventually join blondie." He spits. "Maybe after you let me go I can go find my buddy and we can unearth her. Finish what was started." He says.

"Oh like fuck you will!" I yell. I grab the barrel with my other hand and wack him across the face. I go to take a shot at his face but the gun clicks. He laughs under Jason. "Even if you arrest me, we have people everywhere. They will get me out."

I take a look at Jason. This will be messy. Just get it over with.

"Hold him," I say. Jason shifts so I can lean my knee on the man's leg. "Who was the one who tried to assault Caley?" I ask.

"I'll spare you just tell me," I whisper, trying to make it seem like I'm still going to actually let him go. "I'll let you go," I say again.

The man then spits in my face and tries to head-butt me. Before I can react Jason pushes me off him, grabs ahold of the man, and raises him, and shoves him down hard on the ground.

After a few slams the man becomes lifeless. I cover my mouth, tears in my eyes. "Jason... what the hell was that?" I say, tears now falling down my numb cheeks.

He looks over at me, an arm draped over his leg as he pants. "It was self-defense. He tried to hurt you," he says.

"The police are here for a reason!" I yell. "To stop the bad guys from hurting the good guys."

"None of those men were caught, Tess. They are smart. They can hide. We never would have been safe! I had no choice!" He yells.

I hate to admit he is right, but he is. I put my hands on my hips. "Okay. We... we need to get rid of the body." I say.

"What do you suggest? His blood is everywhere." He says.

I look at him and notice the trickle of blood under his head. "Geez," I say, turning around. I start thinking.

"I need a plastic bag, a shovel, and coke," I say.

"Cocaine?" Jason asks.

"No, the soda. I need the soda. Lots of it." I say.

"Thirsty, Gomez?" He asks, laughing. I look at him, horrified. "No! Coke will dissolve the body. I think." I say.

"You think? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Let's just shovel and dump it somewhere." He says.

I grab his arm and make him stand up. "Jason if we are going to make it out of this we need a concrete plan. And we need to trust each other. I trust you, do you trust me?" I ask.

He pauses for a while and it makes me scared. I barely even notice I still have the gun in my hand. "I'll get the coke, and a bag, and a shovel. You move him and get that bullet out of him. If he had a knife on him stab him with it in the bullet wound." He says. He then kisses me.