Chapter 19

No no, I don't think I'm reading this wrong. After we'd cleared the kitchen, he grabs my arm to steady me from slipping where the water dripped from the dishrack onto the floor. "You okay? Don't want you getting hurt." His voice is soft, something I didn't expect from the boy who'd been smirking triumphantly when Victorie hugged him. I nod, letting the silence fill in for my absence of language. Three days we've been here, more and more time we've let our friend slip away. It's pleasant out here, but something is off. Something is wrong with this place. We need to leave. "Mazuka! We need to go! Nothing is going to get done the more time we spend here!" I'm anxious to leave, wanting to pack up and drag Matteo wherever the sun rises, to sleep wherever it sets, beside him.

He seems to consider the offer, tossing it like a tennis ball across the court. The sun shines brightly in the sky, leaving no shade for those in the fields. How he, the one who brings heat and warmth to these lands, the one they associate with "evil" doesn't see that something's wrong, is baffling. I groan and trudge back to the building, letting the stifling air leave my lungs in a huff. Everything is going wrong, oh so wrong.

We have to go. I keep telling myself that Victorie is being backed further into a corner and we may not be able to get them out eventually. I meander my way to the safe space of my room, the shade providing coolness upon my face. Footsteps come and go from the hall, it's of no concern to me because right now all I'm trying to do is dam up the flood of touch and language Matteo has given me, trying to push it away. It's all going too fast for me, but maybe I'm just not used to it. After all, I've been kept away for who knows how long. The creak of the door catches my attention, I do not look up for I know who it is. "Hey, you. I didn't see you come in." Mazuka must have told him. "I'm not mad at you, and you're right. We need to leave. Now." The bed dips gently, and I find myself meeting his eyes.

The tap of someone's rings on the table later that evening breaks the barrier of silence. It's a small distraction, one I'm very thankful for. A small change is that I packed up our things, and Mazuka has a ride awaiting us for the journey ahead once we've finished dinner. I glance up, towards the ceiling, sending a small prayer to whoever is listening. A small smile is sent my way, and I kick him under the table. "Screw this, ow that hurts!" He kicks me back. "Don't be stupid, Nesra. I'll kick you again."