Chapter 28

So, about that. Matteo and I look at one another, standing in the dimly lit hall. "Welp, this isn't what I thought would happen. Like at all. You know, it's odd being here. At first, I thought I was going to be scared, leaving with you. But now it just feels like home. Home is the mortal realm though. Right?" He is right. I look to the window, where the sun set hours ago. And then I glance back at him, his eyes, his posture, him. Something changed about Matteo, from the stuck-up boy on the streets of New York to the young man standing in the hall beside me.

He puts his hand on the railing, leaning forward. The stars illuminate him. I must sound silly, thinking about him this way. He's smart. Smart and chilling. He's a plotter, someone who's a hunter rather than a warrior, and someone who can step up to the plate when he needs to. Someone to admire. Like the warriors in the arenas, fighting their opponents. It's great. Honestly, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Maybe it's the wind, soft and comforting, or maybe it's the night's events itself. I'm tired, the exhaustion shaking me to my core, turning my legs to lead. It's a disgusting feeling for me, I'm not one who gets tired often. And if I do, I'll rest. But I haven't had time to, and my schedule is way more behind than normal.

He offers a small smile my way, and I return it. I think we should go back to our rooms, but I can't move. It's pulling me down, slowly and surely. And I feel like I'm drowning, the rush of the day, the month, everything is the swell of the ocean, filling every ounce of my being. It takes me out like a sucker punch. Matteo turns slowly, taking my arm and guiding me like I'm a toddler who's stuck in a mall. The door to "my" room opens, and he leads me inside. "Okay, and we're here. I'll let you crash. I just didn't want you getting hurt or whatever if you fell asleep outside." he cracks a grin.

"Thanks, Matteo. I appreciate it. We'll get Victorie back and you two can be together again." He looks appalled at what I just said. But didn't Victorie call him their boyfriend or something? "No, no. we're not together. At all, and probably never will be. Goodnight Nes, sleep well." he walks out of the room, shutting the door firmly behind him and leaving me in darkness.

I just hope that we can find them, and then I can go on my way and get everyone together. I need to solve the demon problem. And fast. But that isn't happening right now, is it?