Chapter 20

Lavinia

"What is wrong with you Maximus! She's done nothing to you!" I pushed him by the chest, something I've never done before but I'm so sick and tired of him making others suffer for fun.

"I am the king and she's nothing but a fuckin slave! You have no right to question my decisions Lavinia you're lucky I didn't kill her in front of you" he yelled back, he already downed half of a wine jar and when he drinks he only gets worse.

"You're a heartless piece of shit and I hope you die in a ditch, alone and worthless" the hatred I have for this man is incomparable, I wish I never met him or crossed his path but I was young and my father was dying and he had to marry me to someone of status and I accepted this as my father's last wish.

"Watch. Your mouth" he threatened, but I was so used to him getting what he wanted by force.

"She's been a good guard to me and to Diana, but of course you don't care about that" I took a step back from him, this man standing in front of me is the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

"You only care about yourself, but soon you'll have nothing" I told him then made my way to the door, I have to find a way to leave this place. I heard from Alba that Venus has two brothers somewhere in the city.

I'm going to find Venus and ask her where they are then Diana and I will hide there with them until we find away to get Venus out. If she goes to the arena she'll have to fight to survive with the most barbaric people to ever exist.

"Marissa!" I called for my maid, she must know something about what's happening with Venus and where she goes at night. I need to know everything, because if she can leave safely and without being detected so can I.

"Yes your majesty?" She came running out of the kitchen, I gestured for her to follow after me and we both made our way to my chamber.

"I need you to tell me in all honesty, and without leaving a single detail, where Venus goes at night" her eyes widened in surprise, I knew she'll have an idea about what's going on.

"B-but your majesty what are you even talking about? Wh-" she chuckled nervously but I could tell she was hiding something, anyone could see it, she was so bad at lying.

"Marissa?" I warned and she quickly nodded,

"She goes to see her brothers, she gives them money so they can buy food and clothes." My maid explained, I sat on the bed with my hands under my chin. I have to find them as soon as possible because I know Maximus will not rest unless Venus is dead and he might hurt Diana as well.

"What are you thinking your majesty?" Marissa asked, I know that Venus wouldn't mind but would it be a good idea to run away from the castle? Maximus will have every soldier looking for us, he'll break into every single house in Rome just to find us.

"I need to find them, Diana will be safer with them." Marissa's eyes widened in surprise and walked closer to the bed, she kneeled in front of me her hands landing on my knees. I knew it was her way of telling me everything was going to be okay.

"Your majesty, I'll do anything to help. I'll go find them for you and see if it's okay for you to be there first." She said with a genuine smile, I looked at the blonde in front of me who was ready to risk her life for my safety which brought tears to my eyes.

"I'm sorry" I cried, I put my face in my hands to hide it from her. Everything around me was going downhill, just when I thought I got someone to protect my kid she gets taken away and now my own husband wants to kill her for a reason I'm not aware of.

"Your majesty, you can trust me with this. I'll go see Venus and let her know first" she got up quickly to leave but I grabbed her wrist,

"He sent her to the colosseum..."

"Oh...god" she put her hand over her mouth in surprise and sat back down.

After a long moment of just silence, with me drowning in my own thoughts Marissa finally spoke.

"We can only see her before the fights, I might find a way to speak with her." She said catching my attention, I sat up straight to look at her.

"Probably tomorrow will be her first fight, I'll go ask her about her brothers then" Marissa said with a smile, I nodded still in disbelief that she was willing to do this for me. Before she can leave I stood up and wrapped my arms around her, she chuckled and patted my back in a comforting way.

"Thank you"

After Marissa left, I went to Diana's room to make sure she was okay and tell her about what's going on. I knocked softly before pushing the door open, my kid was sitting on her chair examining a wooden knife. She had crafting tools scattered all over the table and it looked like she just got done making that knife.

"Hello mother" she said still staring at the knife, I went closer to her bed and sat down still not saying anything. She looked up at me curiously wondering why I still haven't said a word.

"What happened?" Her curious eyes quickly switched to anger and worry,

"Venus got taken to the colosseum"

I watched her eyes changed from surprise to worry then to anger once again, she was confused and upset at the same time.

"Your dad t-"

"Don't. Don't call him that" she mumbled looking down at her newly crafted knife, I sighed and apologized.

"Maximus. He got mad that we spent time with her, so he sent her there. But that's not why I'm here" she leaned back on her seat and crossed her arms in front of her, her attention fully on what I was going say.

"In a few days time we'll leave this castle to find Venus' brothers, we'll be safer with them. I have a feeling Maximus is planning to do something horrible so we have to leave before it's too late" my daughter stared at me for a long moment before nodding her head, she didn't say anything she just nodded yes.

"Whatever you feel is right mother" she mumbled before picking up her knife and carving on it. I brushed my hair back with my hands in frustration then stood up.

"That's a beautiful knife Diana" I said trying to change the mood, she twirled it around in her hands and I noticed how it was almost an identical copy of the real knife Venus gave her the other day.

"She gave me her knife, and now she doesn't have one so I decided to make her this. I know it won't do any damage but yeah...I just thought she'll like it" she whispered sadly making me smile, I leaned kissing her head and gently squeezing her shoulder.

"I'm sure she'll love it, Marissa will go see her tomorrow do you want me to give it to her?" I asked making her head turn to look at me, she finally smiled which made me smile.

"Yes please" she handed it to me and I promised I'll give it to Venus before leaving the room. I don't know if what I'm doing is right but as along as my daughter is safe I don't care what happens next.

****************************************
Heeyy! Here's an update I hope you liked it!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what's gonna happen next.

Muah

-S