Chapter 28

Venus

My head was burning from the heavy heatwave and it was starting to get painful, and I could hear cheering in the background. It was very far away but close at the same time, my eyes were shut and my body felt heavy.

I felt someone grab my arms and pull me up to my feet but I was too weak to hold myself. I slowly opened my eyes and everything was blurry but I could tell someone was standing in front of me.

"Your king will fight today! I'll show you what it means to be a real fighter!" He addressed the crowd with a big smirk on his face, he had a sword in his hand that he swung around so proudly.

"Let her go" he ordered the guards, they both let go of me and I lost my balance falling to the ground. It felt like I was drunk, I was aware of what's going on but it was hard to control my limbs. I tried my best to push myself back up to my feet and I did after a while of struggling.

"Let's see if the poison worked" he said dropping his sword and charged towards me punching me hard on the jaw making me fall back, how can he touch me?

"Hahaha I'm gonna be having fun" he mumbled and asked his guards to pull me back up, when they let go of my arms he punched me. Before I could fall they grabbed me again and he kneed my stomach, the pain was unbearable but I couldn't do anything to prevent it.

"This is for my father" he punched my stomach making me groan in pain, my mouth started to taste weird and my saliva was mixed with blood and I felt it drip down my chin and clothes.

"This..." He hit my face,

"...is for humiliating me" I just kept my head down and let the guards carry me while Maximus emptied his anger on me. I felt numb, I felt weak for the first, I felt alone.

"And this...is for fuckin my wife" I pulled his leg to his body and kicked me back hard. His foot collided with my chest and I fell down on the ground staring at the beautiful blue sky, it reminded me of Lavinia's eyes...

Everything around me was slowly fading away, the sounds, the light...everything was disappearing. My heart beats started to slow and all I felt was the vibration of the ground under me. I felt peaceful.

"Venus..." Her voice came waking me up from my darkness followed by a soft touch on my face made my skin warmer.

"Venus? Please get up?" Lavinia begged, she sounded like she was crying but I couldn't see her or touch her, I just felt her hands slowly touch my body. I tried to open my eyes but they felt like they've been sewed shut.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered, why was she apologizing to me? She should be back at the house, where she'd be safe and away from him. I wanted to tell her to leave, that she shouldn't be here. I gave everything in me to try and open my eyes, to try and move my body.

"Venus?"

The sound started to come back, I heard the crowd loud and clear and I felt Lavinia's hand on my chest caressing it gently. My eyes slowly opened and tried to adjust to the light, the first thing they saw was Lavinia's beautiful watery eyes staring at me in worry.

I sat up holding my head in pain but it was gone as soon as she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me in a hug, her little sobs made my heart clench. I hated seeing her sad.

"Oh good, you're still here." Maximus said sarcastically. I forget that were in front of a crowd and most importantly right in front of him. I pulled away from the hug and tried to get up, it was still as hard as before so I had to lean up on Lavinia for support.

He husband had a smug look on his face that I was more than ready to get rid of, I looked at Lavinia for a moment and leaned closer to her ear.

"I- need you..to go now" I managed to say, she was hesitant at first but she saw it in my eyes that I wasn't asking her.

She nodded and grabbed my jaw with her fingers kissing me right in front of everyone watching, some gasped and others cheered. Her soft lips gently brushed against mine making me feel alive again. She pulled from the kiss and looked at me through her long eyelashes.

My jaw was on the floor while she made her way towards my brothers, Rhea and Aio who were standing at the other side of the field ready to protect her.

I took a deep breath and leaned down picking up the sword that Maximus dropped earlier, it felt heavy but I knew it was just the effect of the poison. I watched Maximus put his hand out and one of his guards handed him a sword.

"Let's get this over with" he said with a smirk and made his way towards me, I managed to dodged his swings and block some but I was very tired and weak to move like I usually do.

"What's wrong? Sister. Can't fight me now?" He laughed hitting me in the face with the back of his sword's handle, I spat the blood out and tightened my grip around my weapon. My eyes weren't helping me either because once in a while they blur out everything.

He took the chance when I closed my eyes to get them to work again and he tripped me on my back, making me drop my sword, he grabbed his with two hands and pointed it towards my chest about to stab it down right through my heart.

"It's over"

I felt something on the back of my belt and I remembered what it was, I pulled out the knife as fast as my body could move and stab him in the leg before flipping both of us. I took the dagger again and it was now my turn to put it to his chest.

I slowly pierced it to his chest and made sure to twist it, I watched him gag and choke on his own blood and I just breathed heavily.

"Say hi to father for me"

I stood up slowly and the crowd cheered in clapped, I didn't care about them though. I was just glad everything was over and I could finally rest a little bit, I started walking towards Lavinia who was making her way to me with a smile on her face.

My moment of satisfaction came to an end when I felt something sharp hit my back right when I reached Lavinia, her smile dropped and so did my body. I fell on her and she tried to catch me but I was too heavy for her and I ended up dropping to my knees.

I looked behind me and Maximus had yanked the dagger from his chest and threw it at me when I had my back turned, my face was turned fast towards Lavinia who was saying something .

'I love you...' 

was the last thing I heard her say before my body dropped to the side drowning in darkness.

Lavinia

Venus collapsed to the side unconscious, I grabbed her head before it hit the ground. The tears streamed down my face uncontrollably while I held her close to my chest.

The guards surrounded us making Venus' brothers and Rhea stand in front of me for protection. But to our surprise, the guards put their swords back into their belts and bowed down to me.

"All hail the queen!" The general said making the others repeat after him including the crowd. I looked down at Venus in worry and gently touched her face, she was still breathing which was a good sign but she had to be treated urgently.

Two guards came rushing to me, and picked up Venus. While the rest of the royal guards formed two rows and followed after me, and out of this place.

"Bury him in the royal cemetery" I ordered a guard while pointing to Maximus' body.

"Yes, my queen" he bowed respectfully and left to do what he was ordered to. Hopefully Venus will be alright, she was already weak and the dagger only made it worse for her.

"Is she going to be alright?" Magnus asked me worriedly as we made our way inside a random room, the guards laid her down on her stomach on the wooden bed.

"Bring me a doctor" I ordered,

"I am the doctor" Rhea took off her cloak and put her sword down, she went to get something while I just sat down next to Venus' unconscious body with my head laying on my hands waiting for help to get here.

***************************************
Hm idk how to feel about this.

Also I'm already working on the next book.

-S