Chapter 22

Venus

The next day, we were fed and they gave us wine and water to drink then told us to wait until it was time to go out. Aio told me that most gladiators fight in groups, that's why me and him had to team up so we can have a better chance to survive.

"I heard the royal family are going to attend, it's been a while since they did" Aio said sitting next to me, my heart jumped at the sound of that. Lavinia is gonna be watching me, I'm gonna see her? Is she okay? Will she be okay after seeing what's going happen in the arena?

"Aio, you're next" a guard yelled taken the shackles off of Aio and dragging him out, I didn't move from my place and waited patiently for my turn.

"Venus?"

My head swung fast to the left and my eyes almost fell out of my sockets, I quickly got up and went to the woman.

"Marissa?! What are you doing here?!" She smiled and wrapped her arms around me in a hug. She was wearing a cloak and kept looking around.

"I'm here with an order from the queen, she wants to take Diana to a safe place. She wants to hide her at your brothers'. You have to tell me where they're staying before Maximus hurts Diana or Lavinia" Marissa said everything in a hurry, everything was going so fast and I had no idea what to say. Next thing I know she slapped me hard across the face.

"This is not the time to space out on me Venus, this is urgent" she whispered yelled then looked around to see if there was someone, I quickly shook my head and blinked a couple of times.

"The city fountain, third entrance on the right, last house on the left" I said quickly

"Do you understand Marissa, city fountain, third entrance on the right, last h-"

"Last house on the left, got it." She cut me off, I didn't know why was my heart racing or why my brain was about to stop working, I looked at Marissa and she seemed nervous.

"What's wrong?" I asked,

"Be careful out there, Venus. She still needs you" Marissa hugged once again before putting her hood back on, I watched her leave the place in a hurry while I just stood there looking into the empty space where she was.

A hand wrapped around my arm and I winced, the guard who hit me yesterday pulled me towards the door by the arm that was wounded, I had a feeling he did it on purpose. He unshackled me and opened the door.

"Let's see if you can survive" he whispered pushing me out of the door, the sunlight hit me in the face and I had to close my eyes for a moment. When I finally opened them my jaw dropped at how big this place was, the stands were filled to their maximum capacity and everyone was staring at me quietly.

I woke up from my daze feeling something coming towards my head at fast speed, I quickly dodged it leaning my body to the left. I looked behind me and I looked at the axe now stuck on the wooden door. The crowd finally came back to life and I turned to face who threw it at me.

The guy who sneaked in my cell yesterday was staring at me with a smirk, I rolled my eyes and grabbed the axe pulling it away from the door then made my way towards Aio. We were standing in a line with a lot of space between each participant, except for me and Aio we were almost glued next to each other. We both looked up at the stands, that's when I noticed the expensive area.

"The royal area" I heard Aio say to me, and again, my heart started beating uncontrollably in anticipation to see her again. The sound of horns was heard loudly through the arena which made everyone go quiet.

"His majesty king Maximus!"

Where is she? Why can't I see her with him? My heart started to hurt from anxiety, where are you Lavinia?