Mehrama | Chapter 10

Mehrama | Better
Word Count: 1655
26/01/2023

The anxiety you feel exactly when you're sitting infront of your laptop, waiting for your results, is unique. Or may be not. The air around Vedansh and Prisha was now heavy and tension was palpable. After a hard time of locking his feelings within himself, Vedansh let it all out. Prisha just stood there, not believing her luck.

"You don't need to feel uncomfortable of my confession. Even if you don't feel the same, nothing would change between us." Vedansh managed to croak out.

"M-mumma is calling you f-for breakfast." Vedansh gave her a smile. As much as he wanted to run away at this instance, he couldn't let Prisha skip her meals because she couldn't find her way to the dining room, especially when she is still on medications.

Walking towards the dining table, Prisha kept contemplating her answer. Should she just straight away deny Vedansh and hurt his pent up feelings? Or maybe she could take a chance with her luck and be selfish and accept his proposal? But that might drag him into a mess of a life of hers.

"Mumma, I'll be leaving for Ahmedabad by noon. It might take a longer while this time." Vedansh declared. He already had the Ahmedabad appointment on his to-do list for the later part of this week but he asked Mathur to prepone the meeting for now, he wanted to give himself and Prisha a little space after the enormous declaration.

"So sudden? Is it about the dam?" Sanskriti asked as her eyebrows furrowed. Prisha's eyes never left Vedansh. Was this his way to deal with a problem? Running away? Or was he out of patience like all other people around her? Did she hurt his male ego? Would he now abandon her for her rejection? But she never rejected him in the first place? Couldn't he wait for s few more days for her to answer? She was now angry and hurt and insecure again.

"It was scheduled on Sunday but then their Governor pre poned the meeting, says he is going to take a week's personal leave. After the meeting, he has invited me to his engagement too. I don't think I should disappoint him." Vedansh admited. It wasn't a complete lie though. Today was Tuesday and his engagement was scheduled for next Tuesday. He'll be having about three days interval between the meeting and the engagement function.

"Isn't he younger than you?" Arunaditya asked with his eyebrows raised. "Yes. Four years younger than me." Vedansh answered though confused by his father's interrogation.

"Even he's getting married, sweetheart. When are you getting home a cute little wife for yourself?" Arunaditya asked, continuing his series of persistence. Vedansh rolled his eyes as Prisha froze.

"Jab ladki haan kardegi main bata dunga." Vedansh teased his father.

"Iska matlab ladki hai?" Arunaditya gasped dramatically. It was their way of playing around.

"Haina. 19 saal pehle mana kar diya tha, mumma iss baar to karloge na mujhse shaadi?" Vedansh made a fake puppy eyes. Arunaditya smacked the back of his head mumbling a few sweet words under his breath.

"Tere paas ladki nahi hai to bata de, mere paas bohot rishte hai tere liye. Mehra ji, Mishra ji, Renuka ji, aur bhi bohot se jaan pehchaan walo ke rishte hai. Baat kar lunga." Arunaditya shrugged.

"Vaise Mehra ji se yaad aaya, Mumma aapko pata hai-" Vedansh was rudely cut off by his father when a sudden bite of enormous size of bread was put into his mouth.

"Mehra ji cancel." Arunaditya said.

"Seriously though, if you don't get yourself a girl within the next month, I am going to forcefully get you married to one of my delegates' daughter. They would be more than happy to be the crown princess of Jaipur." Arunaditya declared.