Sayonee | Chapter 5

Chapter 5 | The Lies
Words Count: 1560
13/02/2023

"Honestly, I could have never guessed you could cook so well

"Honestly, I could have never guessed you could cook so well." Ruhani moaned as she took another bite of the tawa rotis after the long day of expedition and hunger. At this moment, she knew she could eat anything that's edible. Even bitter gourds.

Well that's exaggerated. Ved would have lost his negative chances of getting back with her had he picked bitter gourd to serve this dinner.

"I am glad you liked it." Ved politely smiled as he served a glass full of chhachh (butter milk) with some added ice cubes in case she was dehydrated after the long day, it would surely rejuvenate her.

"Where did you get the clothes from?" She asked as she kept chewing her food. "My neighbour who also happens to be my assistant has a sister of your age. I asked if they could lend you something to wear. They agreed." Ved explained patiently.

"Assistant, I see." Ruhani whispered out. "What are you doing these days?" She asked. Her demeanor gleamed down. All of sudden, the past reeled our infront of her eyes. She kept aggressively gulping down the food.

"I am a lawyer now." He stated. Ruhani's eyebrows furrowed. Ved could sense her confusion. "After I.. left Jaipur, I started studying and law seemed to be really interesting. I have been practicing law for the past one year, roughly." He explained. Ruhani nodded her head in understanding. "What about you?" Ved asked as his eyes seemed to be busy tracing her serene features in his mind. He knew this might be their last meeting but he just couldn't seem to have enough of her presence. He could feel the peace he had been looking for years. He knew this was wrong. So so so wrong. And that's the reason he decided not to act upon whatever he was feeling deep down. He was going to serve her as his guest and make sure she safely reaches the transportation adda. That is what he is supposed to do.

"I have my own photography studio now." Ruhani replied. Ved nodded.

"How have everyone been back at Jaipur?" Ved finally mustered up the courage to discuss the past. He wanted a closure to sleep at nights. "Much better. Bhai and bhabhi had another baby after you left. They are really happy together." She reported as she now kept playing with her food. "And about him?" Ved asked meekly. Ruhani knew who he was. "He's happy too. He's in eighth standard right now and an absolute photocopy of Bhai, if we speak about his character and behaviour." She assured him. Ved nodded in reply.

"I am full. I think we should leave for the bus stop, if you don't mind." Ruhani advised, not wanting to let her heart feel anymore chaos than it already is. The members in Rathore clan have been known for being loyal and integral to their love. Unfortunately, this also prohibits them to move on no matter how hard they try. So was the case for Ruhani. No matter how hard she tried, she had not been able to move on from Ved. His polite nature and hospitality at this moment didn't help much in her case.