Parshawan| Chapter 7

Chapter 7 | Home
• Afreen Malik •

Chapter 7 | Home • Afreen Malik •

"That's all, Ms. Afreen. You can retire for the day." My boss, Karan Randhawa politely dismissed me.

"Also, please take the rest of the week off. I'll be busy with my family this week. Please don't bother with my schedule." He gave me a polite smile. I nodded my head and expressed my words of gratitude with a professional smile at the forty three year old.

I had been working as Karan Randhawa's personal assistant for the past two years. I had enough savings to support me and Kiara before that. With my qualifications in education, it wasn't hard for me to find a job but it was hard for a single mother like me to find a job with suitable hours and facilities.

Collecting my commodities and tiding up my work space, I locked my tiny cabin. The images of my cabin at Suhaag flashed in my head. I shook my head and concentrated at the life currently at hand.

Walking upto the reception, I smiled at the receptionist, Rohit Jha, to sign out for the day. Still in his second year of graduation, Rohit worked part time here to make up money for his course at university. I watched a small red tint crept up on his cheeks. Cute.

'Neha Sharma has been captured leaving Rathore's publication house yet again. Wonder if we should take this as a sign of the youngest Rathore getting back with the supermodel, like old times? If yes, we pray for them to not have any hindrance like past!'

The sound of television faded in the background as my clutch on the pen tightened. I closed my eyes tight as the painful reflection of past reeled in my mind.

Yet another day of the world implying me as a 'homewrecker'. Had they known about my child's existence, she would have been entitled being a sin.

Yet another day of my decision being proven right. I had to protect my daughter against everything, everyone. Even her family.

I wonder if what the anchor had been blabbering was right. Was he moving on? It had been four years. It's only logical for him to move on, especially when he has no idea about my or my daughter's existence in this world. He could be thinking I was dead for all I care. But then, I do care. I do.

Focusing on the paper, I blocked out all the external voices around. I signed out, wished Rohit a happy weekend and walked upto my black Celerio. The baby seat on the back was enough distraction for me to forget about it's owner's dad's existence.

I drove upto Heena's house. It was hardly six pm. I had a nine days long vacation at hand and a lot of savings in my account. My salary provided enough for me to invest in my and Kiara's insurances, a fixed deposit for Kiara's future, emergency funds, taxes, our daily conveniences and yet a few thousands was left as savings for leisure at the end of every month.

Picking up Kiara and informing Heena about how Kiara won't be coming back for a week, I departed for my apartment. My apartment. Not my home. As I had left my home a long before I decided to leave my old life back.