Parshawan | Chapter 1

Chapter 1 | Sneak Peak

•|AFREEN MALIK|•

The hustle of people gossiping, cutlery clinking and the constant buzzing of high base music continued in the large wedding hall as I pranced across the crowd of elites, searching for Asim, my team mate

Being a wedding planner for the top elites of the country required creativity, work ethics and a lot of patience. No matter how thoroughly prepared you are, last minute problems always arise. If not on your part then your client's part. You can never predict when the groom decides to get nervous and looses his sherwani's button in the process. Neither can you predict when the bride gets a cold feet and second guesses her choice to agree to the marriage proposal- especially if it's arranged.

"Afreen! I guess we'll get short on the big plates!" I heard the bride's uncle whine. I sighed. The plates could never get short until the guests decide to dive upon the cutlery rather than the thirty six types of dishes they are being served.

"Mr. Lalwani, we got a set of one thousand plates for six hundred guests. Rest assured and enjoy the wedding. We'll keep stacking the plates." I forced a polite smile on my face.

I sauntered through the guests and kept an eye on the caterers, the decors, the camera man, the expressions of the guests and had my ears open to any kind of rumours about either of the party fleeing away. The parties were charged with 75% payment in advance and rest 25% had to be paid after the completion of event. The bride/groom running away from the marriage meant foul mood of their family members and a lengthy hustle of extracting money.

"Asim! Can you make sure the DJ plays whatever the fuck the relatives are asking to dance upon? I cannot handle the thoughts of crossing a hunch of drunk men on the dance floor to get to the DJ." I grumbled out. I wore a shimmery golden saree draped in mermaid style with black sequin blouse. My thin gold nose pin remained punctured on my nose as I had a subtle no make up look. Irony, how I had to spend forty five minutes with my make up items to get a no make up look.

"Sure." Asim sauntered through the dedicated route. As I turned around, I saw the bride's father coming towards me. I had my eyebrows furrowed by this instance. He was my favourite client so far. No tantrums in payment, no extravagant demands, no pressurization on arrangement and no obnoxious arguments.

"Afreen, the event is well executed. Thank you for all the efforts you have been putting into the wedding, beta. My daughter and son-in-law are really very happy with everything. They have their dream wedding." He gave me a warm smile as his eyes lingered on his daughter sitting on the mandap. He was emotional at the thought of his daughter leaving the house as well as happy at the fact she got her dream wedding. I wish I had somebody to care too.

I forced a smile on my face at his complement. This was the best part. This is what keeps me going. The way people's face glow up at getting what their heart desired for the wedding, is peaceful.