𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚝

The forest seemed endless. They had walked for hours, and the landscape didn't really seem to change.

At least that's how you felt. Drefan for example, seemed pretty carefree as he walked around, humming a cheerful tune. From time to time he'd stop, glance around, and change directions.

You were close to confronting him about leading you and Varian in circles, since your surroundings never differed - you never reached a clearing, or a river etc. Just trees, and the same old muddy path.

But then you finally reached the end. Even with you having been outside the whole time, it was only then, when you had exited the forest, that you could actually breathe again.

In front of you was a bridge. The bridge you had been meaning to reach all along. The bridge. The sole reason you had chosen to go on this long, long journey.

Although, well, you weren't really there for the bridge itself. You were there for what laid beyond it. Still, the bridge was a significant thing to mention, as it was the only bridge that led there.

That was one of the main reasons you chose to go straight through the forest. Varian would've chosen a path that would 1. be way longer and 2. not lead up to a bridge... He would've probably built a boat.

Now, you did trust his skills. After all, the guy managed to build an army of automatons within a week. If that wasn't impressive, you didn't know what was.

But no matter how impressive or talented, you didn't feel like wasting time. At least, if it was avoidable.

You stepped forward, hand grazing along the railing. The railing of the bridge was rather worn - moss grew on it, and the wood was slightly damaged. Nonetheless, it seemed sturdy enough.

You cautiously put a foot forward, testing the stability, before deciding that it was safe enough. You motioned for Varian and Drefan to follow.

Drefan hesitated, glancing back at the forest. No one could blame him. That was the only place he had ever known, the closest thing he had to a home.

Although you wouldn't ever catch him labelling it as such.

When he didn't move an inch, you decided to approach him, placing a hand on his shoulder in comfort.

"Hey, I appreciate your help so far. It's alright if you don't want to accompany us further. We'll manage without you."

Drefan's eyes flickered to your eyes, and his lips were pressed into a firm line. One could've practically seen the thoughts running through his brain - but he was able to make a decision quite fast.

"No. I'm coming with you. I've stayed here for too long anyway." He gave a relaxed smile, although you were able to tell that it was slightly forced "What's there to fear anyway, right? Not like I'm bound to this place... Haha..."

You shot him a concerned look, but didn't press any further.

When he didn't say anything else, you shrugged in a 'suit yourself' way, starting to cross the bridge with confidence, walking right past Varian, who had already been waiting for you.

The alchemist, hurried after you, not really paying any mind to Drefan, who had started to cautiously follow.

The bridge was fairly long, but nothing compared to the forest.

You just hoped that the news of your powers and your, well, prison escape hadn't travelled far yet. That would certainly complicate things.

Drefan, who walked a few steps behind you spoke up.