Chapter 25

Scythe ended up putting the bullet shaped mortar in the center of the living-room, where he would be able to see it and remember what happened later. After doing this he turned around to go back to the meeting; however he got distracted by something shiny and ended up going into the back yard to look at what it was. 

There in the middle of a cubby in the tree was a shiny ring made of silver and a gold material with what looked like engravings along the outer and inner ring. Scythe grabbed it and stuck it on a claw before deciding that it would look better on the tip of his tail and after putting it there he reshaped the blade so that the width of the ring was trapped between a small divot in the blade. He bent his tail this way and that before going back to the meting and sitting down behind Arlington again as he was still answering questions. 

"...what can you say about the large boom we all heard earlier?" 

"What about that streak of light in the sky behind you?" 

Arlington held up a hand for the questions to halt and he looked at the cameras and each reporter in turn as he said, "I do not know what the large noise was but I'm guessing that it was just our scaly friend behind me taking off somewhere. As by the streak of light seeing as the little creature can go fast enough to create after-images of himself sometimes." 

He looked behind him to make sure Scythe was actually there and smiled when he saw that the dragon was there and looking at him densely. There was a gleam behind Scythe as the ring reflected light once again catching Arlington's eye for a moment before disappearing from view. He hummed to himself with interest and turned back to the cameras. "That is all the questions I am going to be answering today, I hope to see you all for my next public appearance in a few weeks." And with that he turned and walked behind the stage and out of sight. 

After he had disappeared the three on the side of the stage opposite to Lilly and Gray walked off that side and disappeared and Scythe followed Lilly and Gray as they walked off their side of the stage. They all stopped by where Elena was waiting and she came up and looked over Scythe for injuries before stopping at the ring held in the blade of his tail. 

"Where'd this come from?" She asked him and Scythe looked back to the tip of his tail at the ring and waved it around. 

"I found it in one of the trees we have behind the house" He said, "it was really shiny and I wanted to keep it with me." 

"That's cool, but did you think about the reason why it could've been hidden like that in the first place?" Elena asked and Scythe shook his head and stepped on his tail to hide it from view. 

"It's mine now." Scythe said, "maybe the tree should find somewhere else to place it's valuables." Elena sighed and smacked her head as the dragon looked up and away from her, still stepping on his tail. Then she looked around to where Gray and Liliana had gone and found them behind the stage discussing something with Arlington. 

"...happened back there?" Arlington asked and Gray shrugged while Lilly held up a bullet the size of her hand/paw.

"Someone was trying to kill you...again." She said and Arlington growled, grabbing the bullet with a few fingers to examine. 

"During a public conference! Really!?" He roared crushing the bullet and letting it drop to the ground. "You'd think they'd learn by now."

"Yeah well we don't think they're done just yet." Lilly said and by now Elena was leading Scythe over to them to join the conversation. "It seems that Scythe noticed the bullets before they hit you, but I didn't hear anything or see anywhere near us they could've been shot from." 

"How is that possible?" Arlington said looking at Lilly confused and she shrugged. 

"Don't know. We should ask Scythe for more details before trying to narrow down the already small list of potential suspects." She said looking back as the two sat beside Gray. "There isn't many that come to mind with portal technology so advanced, but most of them are for research purposes and I haven't heard of any being stolen recently."