Chapter 31 Last Time Alone

With the warm glow of the setting sun shining off of his boiler, Thomas chugged through the small neighborhood of Toronto. A few cars were going up and down the road, and the people driving them, of course, were looking at this steam engine coming down the tram lines.

"T-Thomas, you know everyone is looking at us right?" Carter asked. Thomas just smiled. "And let them. They're acting like they have never seen a tank locomotive before,"

Carter just softly chuckled. "You sure changed since today, huh?"

"Well, I guess I have. I'm sick of keeping my secrets bottled up," Thomas said. There was a house coming up, that looked familiar. "Hey, Carter, we are almost here,"

As Thomas chugged up to Carter's house, he applied his breaks softly, then game to a soft stop just at the front of the house's driveway. Once he stopped, Carter hopped down. He climbed down the steps, then Thomas changed back into a human.

"Wow, that was fast," Carter said a little shocked. "You can change kinda quickly now,"

"I guess that's all I needed," Thomas said, as he walked up to Carter. "Maybe it was just me having to change frequently, was the key to me being good at it,"

Then, Carter's mom came out of the door. "Hello, Sweetie! How was your date with Thomas?" She asked as he walked from the doorway. "Hi, mom! It was good!" Carter said with a smile. She looked over at Thomas. "Ahh, so you're Thomas! Carter never stops talking about, he-"

"O-Okay Mom! I-I do not!" Carter said, with his blush starting to creep on his face. Thomas blushed, feeling bashful that Carter supposedly talks about him to his mother. "Sorry for teasing you Carter, feel free to come in when you're ready Carter," She said.

Carter slowly looked at Thomas. Thomas was smirking at him. "You talk about me a lot huh~?"

Carter grunted. "Ugh, when did you become the teasey one?" He said. Thomas giggled. Carter laughed. "Hey, wanna come in a play some video games?"

Thomas nodded. "Sure,"

*****

"Ooh! I got you again!"

Thomas rolled his eyes. "Bullocks! This game doesn't agree with me at all!"

Carter busted out laughing. "W-What?" Thomas groaned. "Your accent! How you said that word was so hilarious!" Carter giggled. "Geez, I'm British I can't help it!"

"Would you like some fish and chips?"

"Don't you dare," Thomas said as he playfully shoved Carter. "Maybe you'd like some... some... uh... What dishes are in Canada..."

"Pifft," Carter snorted. "You really don't know?"

"I know! Burgers!"

Carter blinked at him, setting his controller down. "That... That is not Canadian..."

Thomas looked at him, blinking. "You don't know how stupid I feel right now," He said, looking away.

"PIFFFTTTT!!!" Carter laughed so hard he nearly fell over, and it made Thomas blush a lot. Carter calmed down a little. "Well, Pouding chômeur, is a dessert from here I really like," Carter told him. "Hm? Pounding... um.. Chôm..Uerl...?"

Again, Carter busted out laughing. "Wait... How do you say that?!" Thomas grunted.

Carter just continued to laugh. "This is just as funny as the day you tried to say my name without the accent!"

Thomas's eyes widen a little. "Ugh, not that again!" He yelled. "Hahaha! That was so funny! Carteal! PIFFFTTTT!"

Thomas rolled his eyes, secretly loving Carter's giggles. "I have never seen such bullshit before," Thomas moaned.

While Carter was distracted by Thomas's silliness, Thomas swiftly picked up his controller and started to beat Carter's character in the game. "W-What! Hey! No fair Thomas!!!"

But by the time Carter could pick up his game controller, Thomas already defeated him. "Nooo! That was sooo not fair! Mean!" Carter pouted. "Yay! I won!" Thomas said. "Yeah, by cheating!" Carter giggled. "Nah, this is payback for all the times you killed me in the game!"

"Which was a fair fight!" Carter said, folding his arms. "You just suck at the game," He giggled. Thomas pouted, then booped Carter on his belly. Giggling, Carter pushed Thomas's hand away. "You have an issue," He said.

"With what?" Thomas asked. "Keep on tickling me and messing with my belly and bellybutton,"

Thomas smirked at him, then looked back at the screen. Carter giggled. "What was that smirk for? You cheeky dummy,"

"I am not cheeky!"

"You definitely are at times!" Carter laughed. "See, I know all your British words!"

"Oh really, do you know chuffed?"

"What is that? Is that you when you chuff-chuff as an engine?"

Thomas snorted. "What, no!" Carter laughed along with him. "Well, what is it?"

"I thought you said you know all British words..."

Carter rolled his eyes. "Ugh, fine, I don't know all of it,"

Thomas giggled. "I'm chuffed around you, mate," Thomas said, amplifying his British accent. Carter chuckled at it. "What does that mean?"

"Chuffed is a slang term for happy. I said I'm happy around you... Mate," Thomas turned his head to Carter. Carter smiled sweetly at him. "Awww... I'm "chuffed" around you too!" He said, as he leaned over at Thomas, and kissed his lips. Giggling, Thomas kissed him back.

"Man... I love you so much," Carter said. "I love you too," Thomas smiled.

****

"Thomas... So... Uh..."

Thomas was about to leave to go back to his dad, since it was getting dark. Carter was still sad that Thomas was leaving for the Island tomorrow. He most definitely didn't want to see him go. Even though it'll be just for a few months. "I know... I'll miss you too," Thomas said. "But remember, I'll talk to you over Email. And maybe video chat. And besides, you'll see me tomorrow. I'll make sure to come during breakfast hours before I leave to go to the airport with dad,"

"Hold on... I gotta ask my mom something..."

Thomas saw Carter turn from him, and watched him walk over to his mom's room. "Oh... Uh, okay..."

Thomas stood there, at the door, waiting for Carter to come back.

In a few minutes, he came back with a small smile on his face. "Um... What?" Thomas asked. "I... Asked my mom if I can come with you to the airport tomorrow. I told her how you're leaving to go somewhere for a few months, and I'd want to do a proper goodbye to you, so she'll allow me to skip school!"

"You'd... Really do that for me?"

"Yes! I just want to give you an actual proper goodbye," Carter said. Thomas hugged Carter. "It won't be a goodbye. I'll be back. Ok?"

Carter snuggled into him. "You better,"