Chapter 32 Friends

Thomas walked back home, instead of chugging back as the engine. He felt tired and didn't want to push himself. Once he reached home, which took a while, he opened the door to his home, then saw his dad waiting for him in the living room.

Thomas smiled nervously as he walked in. He knows his dad was proud of him, but he still felt nervous about what he could really think. "Thomas," He started. "I must ask you, what made you change your mind?" He asked. Thomas was about to head to his room, but then he stopped and looked at his dad. "I... Um," He wasn't entirely sure anymore. It could have been Carter... It could have been his friends. Or it could have been the fact that all the students loved him when he changed into the engine right there on the stage.

It probably was that.

And Thomas decided to tell his dad about all of that.

His dad was proud of him. Really Proud. After all, all that time Thomas felt insecure about his powers, this was a great moment for him.

But there was still a problem. And a big one at that.

"You said it came on when Carter kissed you?"

Thomas's face went a little red. It was a little weird to talk about your love life to your parents, "Y-Yeah..."

"It seems that your power is still tied deeply to your emotions. I think this is why you haven't changed into an engine in so long. You had no reason to. You haven't experienced intense emotions in such a long time. At least... Not since-"

"The incident when I was 8?" Thomas finished what his dad was saying. His father sighed, then nodded. "But you said you've changed before today, in the past few weeks? Why?"

Thomas thought. It's been about a month since he became friends with Mei's friend group. It all started that day. Then it happened again when he was finally figuring out that he really likes Carter. All of those were because his emotions were getting the best of him.

That made him realize that he needs to go to the Island and practice.

But that made him think-

What's the point of going to the Island isolated away from people? Why would he need to practice being an engine to make sure he can warp to the engine, then back to human, with ease.

"You'll have to see the Island for yourself, for your answer Thomas," His dad responded to his question.

Thomas didn't feel like what he said sat well, but he knows he wasn't going to get any other answers. "Oh... Dad, when do we leave tomorrow?"

"Oh, well, to save money, I won't drive you to the airport, we'll take the train there. The flight to Manchester is at 6 P.M. we'll reach England at about 8 A.M,"

Thomas nodded. "I um... Is it ok if I can go to school during breakfast hours to say bye to my friends?"

"Of course! Why would I say no?"

Thomas smiled.

"Oh-" His dad pointed to his room. "I want you to pack some of your stuff. I already helped and packed some clothes in a suitcase. I packed some jackets, and also some warm clothes. Weather in the UK can be up and down, and it's no different for the Island,"

Thomas nodded and walked to his bedroom. "And don't forget to bring your laptop!"

***

It was the next morning, and Thomas was about to walk to his school. His dad had his suitcase back home, and Thomas had his school bag on, loaded with some extra clothes, and his laptop. As he was walking down his driveway, he saw Carter.