Chapter Three

I am looking around a room that is probably bigger the apartment I used to live in. There is a kingsize bed pushed up against a purple feature wall, with a bedside counter and drawers and a triple wardrobe. On the drawers is a ipod dock and speakers, there is also a jewellery box and remote control. As I look behind me its then I spot the 40 inch plasma tv hanging on the wall "There is a mirror in the wardrobe on the door" Gen smiles sweetly as she stands behind me, next to Mandy "Oh and there is a girft from me and Ryan on the bed"

I walk over to the bed and see a shiny grey wrapped parcel, placed on top of the purple quilt. I opened it and was stunned by what was inside, it was a brand new ipod "Ryan and I thought you would like something to listen to while you did your paintings. She went inside the wardrobe and pulled out an eisle, some paints and cavases "Oh my god thank you"

My eyes start to itch as they fill with tears, no-one had never done anything like this for me at all...ever. I dont even remember getting so much as a card for my birthday "Are they ok? I wasn't sure what to get, but the lady in the shop said they were one of the best" Gen seemed genuinely worried about the gift. How could she be worried? It was perfect, the room was perfect. The only thing left to worry about now was whether or not Ryan would be as welcoming. I suddenly realised I hadn't answered Auntie Gen.

"They are amazing thank you so much" I exhaled, my heart is still pounding "All of this is amazing I have never had my own room before"

Auntie Gen's expression softens as ahe moves closer to me, I feel two warm arms around me "Oh sweetie its my pleasure, hey listen I wasn't sure what music you liked so I got you an itunes voucher so you could download some albums"

I am in complete shock at the kindness of my Auntie, even Uncle Ryan is making an effort "I can't thank you enough" I find myself stumbling over my words like a drunkard.

"Mia why don't you unpack your things, while I have a little chat with Genevieve?" Mandy interrupts.

"I hardly think me unpacking my bag is going to give you enough time to give Auntie Gen the lowdown on the train wreck that is my life" I protest "But I will wait in here and download some music, while you guys talk about me" I shake my new pakaged ipod at Mandy and Gen. They both smile before leaving the room, Gen of course tells me to call if I need anything.

So here I am exploring my new room, I still can't believe its happening. My life was so different 2 weeks ago. I didn't want to think about that right now though, I wanted to look at my en-suite bathroom. I must have been the luckiest bitch in the world, as I inspected the cabinets and inside the power shower I was surprised to feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw 'Billie' flashing on the screen. Billie was my besy friend, in fact it was Billie's Mom Linda, who arranged for me to be taken care of by the authorities. I guess you could go as far as saying I wouldn't be standing in this perfect room if it wasn't for her.

"Hey Billie" I answered cheerfully.

"So what are they like?" Billie is very excited about my new home, she is a big OneRepublic fan.

"I have only really met my Auntie Gen so far" I reply as I flop down onto my bed and lay on my front with my weight resting on my elbows "She's awesome, oh and hey you'll never guess what" I don't give Billie time to answer "Can you remember that art gallery in Ohio?" I reminded her.

"The one that displayed some of your artwork as a competition prize?" She asked me.

"Yeah that one" I build up the excitement "Well you remember I sold one of my paintings to a mystery buyer for $850" Billie squeeked with excitement "Well it turns out the mystery buyer was my Auntie Gen, well Uncle Ryan technically. But yeah its here hanging on the wall. How weird is that?"

"What no way" Billie squeals "That's amazing, so what's their house like?"

"Oh my god, it's incredible" I smile as I think about the start of my new life "And it's ok I don't need you to come and rescue me" that was the plan we had made last night, if Gen and Ryan were terrible, Billie was going to come and rescue me.

"That's great Mia" Billie was genuinely happy for me "I'm so happy...but I am missing your face like mad already and it's only been 20 hours, can we Skype later? Please?"

"Yeah ok" I hear Mandy calling me from the kitchen "Hey I gotta go I'll call you later ok" I say goodbye to Billie and then go and see what Mandy wants, she is stood near the front door with her coat on.

"Right honey I have filled Gen in on the basics, it's time for me to go now" suddenly I feel an overwhelming urge and I rush to hug her. I don't speak I just wrapped my arms tightly around her waist. I can feel her hand on top of my head, she is stroking my hair "It's going to be ok, Gen and Ryan will take good care of you and you have my number on your phone if you need me" I squeeze her a little more as she gets closer to saying goodbye "Now you be good for your Auntie Gen ok, take care Mia. I'll see you soon. Bye Gen" Mandy somehow manages to wriggle free from my grip. She opens the door and quickly leaves through it. Leaving me standing on the other side, I feel Gen's hand on my shoulder as I stay fixed in the same spot, tears are forcing themselves into my eyes but I somehow manage to resist them.

"So I was wondering, how would you like to go to the mall, I wasn't sure what clothes you liked so I thought maybe you could pick your own" Gen smiled sweetly. I reply with a gentle nod "Ok I'll get Copeland's things together, would you be able to get him out of his swing for me?"

"I...I've never held a baby before" I stuttered like a blithering idiot, the thought of holding something so tiny and precious in my arms scares the crap out of me. I hope Jen understands "I'm sorry"

"Hey no it's fine, listen why don't you bring the bag and I'll grab the baby" I nod, I like that idea much better. I walk into the kitchen and see the blue changing bag on the table. It is the same colour as his stroller...of course it is why would it be any different. I smile to myself as I look at all the Polaroids and photo booths photos of Gen and Ryan, which are stuck to the fridge with a magnets, one of which is photograph magnet of a baby I know extremely well...it's a photo magnet of me as a baby "Hey Mia are you ready to go honey?" I hear Gen calling from the hallway.

"Yeah sure" I quickly swing the change bag on my shoulder and head for the front door, Gen is already standing there with Copeland in her arms. Seeing her standing there like that makes my mind drift back to my own Mom, I wonder if she was ever proud of me as a baby. Or even if there was a time she loved me more than heroin...?