Chapter Eighteen

'Every breath we drew was hallelujah...'

I was rehearsing for the fourth, The Voice, live show. Christina had told me to choose a song with a special meaning to me and Hallelujah is
the one I had come up with.

Nathan has agreed to go to the Television Studio with me, for a bit of moral support "I didn't realise you were that good" Nathan beamed as he watched as I finished up my sound check. I could sense Ryan was watching us from a distance, and I was just in ear shot of them to hear what him and Adam were talking about.

Ryan had been asked by Adam to come in and help with rehearsals and song choices "I still can't believe that's you're daughter" Adam looked like he had interupted Ryan's thoughts "How does it feel inheriting a teenager?" I tried to hide my curiosity as Ryan replied.

"A little weird at first but Mia's great, she's a good kid" Ryan smiled as he glanced at Me and Nathan for the tenth time. I smirked a little yeah I am a good kid...kid? Maybe we still needed to discuss this?

"And what about the boyfriend?" Adam teased and Ryan threw him a death glare. I also found myself laughing a little.

"Not Funny" he snarled and Adam tried his best to hide his amusement. I looked away from Ryan as he looked at me and Nathan again.

"Mia, Mia are you listening to me?" Nathan must have noticed I had stopped listening.

"Sorry" I quickly returned my attention to him "I wasn't listening"

"Yeah I guessed that much" he smirked gently "I still can't believe all of this" I watched as he looked around the studio at all the mentors and their acts.

"It's pretty insane right" I felt a little sad as I took it all in for a moment.

"You wish she was here?" Nathan guessed where my mind had wondered too. I replied with a nod "I'm sure she'll be really proud of you Mia"

"Who will be?" Ryan's voice caused us both to jump a little.

"Mom" I replied with a saddened tone, Ryan pursed his lips and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Nathan's right, she would be so proud of you right now...I know I am" I gasped a little trying to fight my emotions, it was still strange to me, hearing someone telling me how proud they are.

"So am I" Nathan interrupted and grabbed my hand. I watched as Ryan's eyebrows raised, at this point I wasn't sure if he was going to say anything. Much to my relief Ryan ignored it and kissed my temple gently, before returning to Adam.

"Why do I get the feeling I have just been warned off you by your Dad?" Nathan grinned with amusement.

"Because that's exactly what has just happened" I sighed with a slight smile "And I have to admit it was pretty smoothly done...Dad one...Nathan nil" Dad did I just say Dad...oh my god...actually though that came out pretty naturally...I couldn't say it to Ryan yet though, I don't want to freak him out...

I noticed Nathan had acknowledged me referring to Ryan as Dad. He smiled a little and left it there "Mia, honey we have an interview to do before the show" Christian's voice echoed around the studio.

"Okay" I kissed Nathan's cheek gently and rushed over to Christina.

"Now they don't know about your relationship with Ryan or about your past. So if they ask you about your family it's up to you what you tell them okay" Christina smiled in her usual sweet manor "And don't worry you will be fine" she added as she took both my hands in hers.

.........
....

The interview was far more laid back than I expected, Christina took alot of the pressure from me which was amazing. Afterwards me and the other contestants had been left to have a bit of free time before the show. Ryan was still talking to Adam, Nathan came over to me as soon as he saw me come back. He had been talking to one of the the young male acts "How was it?"

"Better than I thought it would be" I replied "Come on let's go over there" I replied as I pointed over to a quiet corner.

We sat on a bench next to to few acoustic guitars "I don't think I've thanked you for coming with me today"

"Mia you don't need to thank me, it's been amzing" Nathan grinned "I would never have had the chance to do anything like this" Nathan paused and looked at me for a second "You really are incredible, I still find it hard to take in that you would keep this talent from the kids at school"

"I guess it's because I don't want to stand out" I replied cautiously, talking about my feelings wasn't usually an option for me "I wanted to blend in with everyone else"

"Baby you couldn't blend in if you tried" Nathan's honest response shocked me a little, I got the impression the fact he had said it out loud shocked him aswell "I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that outside my head"

"It's okay" I chuckled as Nathan's cheeks glowed red, I found myself drawn forward towards him like an invisible magnet. Neither of us spoke, I saw Nathan's hand lift as he put it on my cheek. He stroked some of my hair away from my face before pulling me towards him and kissing me gently.

I had no idea how long the kiss lasted, but I suddenly felt my head pull back as I remembered Ryan was probably watching from across the room. As I looked around I noticed he was still talking to Adam which was a good thing. I guess the fact he hadn't rushed across the room and ripped Nathan off me was proof enough he hadn't seen the kiss...or at least I hoped he hadn't.

............
......

'Well there was a time when you let me know what's going on below, but now you never show that to me do ya...

But remember when I moved in you and the holy dove was moving to, and every breath we drew was hallelujah...'

"Wow" Adam mouthed silently as I sung the lyrics. I tried to put my emotion in the words like my Dad told me too...my dad there it was again!

As I sang the last Hallelujah I held the note as long as I could, keeping it rich and powerful. I then finished with a gentle few notes and some hums...The crowd stood and applauded as the song ended, even the judges were on their feet "Oh my god" I mouthed silently as I looked around.

"Mia, your voice is amazing. So rich and strong and the thing that excites me the most is that you're only 16 years old" Blake grinned widely "That performance was faultless, well done"

"Thank you" I fought the tear's in my eyes.

"Every week when you perform I know whatever you sing, it will he good" Usher started "But I have to admit so far I think that had to be your best performance yet"

"Thanks usher" I look at Adam who is smiling widely.

"You never fail to amaze me with your talent" Adam grinned "Each week you come on and blow me further away. You are seriously the one the beat in this competition"

I can't speak so I nod and smile, before turning to Christina "I have said it every week, Mia you are like a little stick of dynamite. Your voice is so strong, and knowing your only 16 completely blows me away. You are a pleasure to work with, and I know that song had a deep meaning for you and you portrayed it perfectly. I'm so proud of you right now" I suddenly felt the tear's come and I was powerless to stop them "Oh sweetie" Christina stood up quickly and rushed towards me hugging me tightly. I felt myself breakdown as she held me...

I felt two more arms wrap around me and the smell of a familiar mans fragrance as Christina moved away I looked up, Ryan had rushed on stage to hug me. I could hear gasps and confused whispers from the crowd "I think most girls need their Daddy sometimes" Christina announced over the microphone with Ryan's backing.

I could hear muffled noises from the audience as Ryan took me off stage, he had his arm around me "You okay baby you look pale" I nodded, but I knew something was wrong. I had felt like this before "Ryan" I managed before suddenly a darkness clouded my eyes, I felt Ryan catch me before everything went black...