Chapter Thirteen

I had been dreading today ever since Ryan told me I had a place in the local school.

It had been a month since our visit to my grandparents house (Ryan's parents) they were amazing and I fell in love with them both instantly. I wasn't really sure why I felt comfortable calling them Nan and Grandpa, when I still couldn't bring myself to call Ryan Dad. But it is what it is I guess, Ryan didn't seem to mind as long as I was happy. I had been to the doctors and they have given me some better medication that actually works.

Gen had spent most of the morning making breakfast for me on my first day, I didn't have the heart to tell her I wasn't really hungry so I had some pancakes and juice.

"So Mia are you excited?" Gen sat beside me at the breakfast counter.

"I don't know" I honestly have no iea how I feel.

"Are you worried about making friends?"

"No not really, I don't mind if I don't make friends" this was actually the truth, making friends wasn't what was bothering me "I don't know what to tell them about Ryan?"

"What do you mean honey?" Gen looked confused, she poured herself a drink and handed Copeland some more toast.

"Do I tell them he is my Dad or my Uncle?"

"Sweetie you heard what Ryan said before he went away, you can tell them whatever makes you feel comfortable" she puts her hand on my shoulder "I know this is difficult for you, but I promise it won't be as bad as you think it is going to be"

I hope Gen is right, this is worrying me a lot more than I could ever imagined it would. School had never been an issue before, but I guess I didn't have people caring about me before. I was never letting anyone down before if I failed.

.
"Shit, we'd better go or you are going to be late" Gen quickly stood up from her stool and rushed her empty dishes to the sink. I got up and picked up my iPhone off the counter, I had a text message from Ryan 'Thinking about you today honey, good luck :) Ryan xxx'

I put my phone I my pocket and picked up my school bag, and hoped my skinny jeans, white high top converse and white t-shirt was the right choice for school. Gen had already got Copeland and was heading out of the front door with her keys and cell phone.

............................

As we pulled up outside, I was surprised by the variety of pupils walking into the gates. I took a deep breath said goodbye to Gen and got out of the car. My feet dragged as I walked inside the school gates, I turned in time to see Gen drive away, she pipped and I waved as she drove away.

This was it now, I was completely alone. I had been told to report to the school office first thing to pick up my timetable and school books. As I walked inside the building it looked a bit similar to my old school, wall to wall with lockers and coat hooks. I headed in the direction of the school office, it was a little difficult to go against the flow of student traffic though.

School Office was highlighted on the wall above the desk...wow this school is idiot proof too I think to myself as I walk towards the red haired woman sitting behind the desk. She is wearing a black capped sleeved dress and has her hairlines back in a clip "Hello can I help you?" She spits in between chewing gum.

"Yeah my name is Amelia Hawkins, I am starting here today" I say in a whisper, she pauses for a moment and stands up.

"Oh yes of course, I have your timetable and books here for you" she picks up pile of clutter off the desk and plonks it in front of me "Let me just make sure your parents signed all the documents for you enrolment" I watch her eyebrows raise as she reads through the consent forms "Ryan Tedder" she mutters to herself "Are you related to Ryan Tedder?"

I nod and smile as politely as possible "As in OneRepublic Ryan Tedder" I nod again "it says here he is...your legal guardian?"

"That's right" the woman seems both shocked and excited "I am staying with them"

"I see" she is blushing now, I guess that she is embarrassed by her reaction "Well Amelia, your paperwork seems to be in order. Welcome to Colarado Academy"

"Thank you"

"Your first class is Biology and you are in room 693, Mr Bennet's room. It's just down the hall and up the stairs to your right" she gives me directions and hands me my timetable. I thank her again, pick up my books and walk in the direction of my classroom.

Room 693, here we go. I open the door slowly and see a room full of different characters staring at me oh fuck I think quietly to myself "Ah you must be Amelia Hawkins" Mr Bennet is a middle aged man and I must admit he is quite attractive for a man with grey hair.

"Yeah" I nod as everyone's eyes burn into me, I guess the geeks and popular kids are trying to see which category I fit into. I really don't care if I am honest, I just want to finish my last couple of years of school and graduate.

"Take a seat next to Mr Lopez" I search the class and see a dark haired boy sat at the back, he has dark skin and is wearing a black t-shirt. His arms look like he works out as they are straining the seam in his shirt, I am relieved that he doesn't seem annoyed I have been forced on him.

"Hi I'm Nathan" he smiles, I can't help thinking how ordinary his name is, I was expecting something Spanish to accompany Lopez.

"Mia" I reply, I am actually taken back by how hot he is up close. I lay out my biology books on the table and push the rest inside my new brown backpack Ryan brought me.