Chapter Four

I have to admit it was quite an eye opening experience shopping with my Auntie Gen, I think we pretty much cleared out the second floor of the mall. I just stared in amazement at the ocean of bags that now covered my bed, I took all the stuff out and laid it on my bed. I grabbed my phone and took a picture and sent it to Billie, before opening my wardrobe door and hanging my new clothes on hangers. This process became very boring very quickly, so far I had counted 3 pairs of jeans, 4 dresses, 9 floaty tops and 2 green t shirts...and that wasn't forgetting 2 pairs of sandals, some combat boots, a make up bag and make up, 2 packets of hair elastics, some hair pins, underwear, nightwear, a curling wand, hair straighteners, a hairdryer and some tampax.

I smile as I remember the awkward conversation I had with Auntie Gen in the drug store, asking me whether or not I had started my periods. She was relieved when I told her she didn't have to worry as I had officially become a woman when I was 12, and even though my Mom pretty much sucked at being a Mom, she did somehow tell me about the birds and the bees in a fucked up kind of way. I even managed to tell Gen without cursing (Mandy would be proud) as I continued to fold and put away my underwear and pajamas, I came across some other items I had forgotten to mention in my list, I had a necklace, some earrings and a new watch.

"Here I found these for you" Auntie Gen is stood in the doorway to my bedroom, it looks like she has a box in her hand. I look inside and see some nail varnishes and a couple of bottles of perfume "I dug this or for you yesterday, but I wasn't sure if you would be girly or a tomboy. I figured after our shopping trip today you were a girly kind of girl, so thought you would appreciate these" Gen had started to mumble a little, but I didnt really mind. I only ever got a grunt out of my Mom if I was lucky.

"Thanks" I took the box off her "And thank you for all of these, I am going to have to paint pictures for the rest of my life to pay you back" Gen frowned.

"Oh no honey, you don't need to pay us back" Auntie Gen smiled at me "These were mine and Uncle Ryan's treat"

"Oh wow" here come the tears again "Are you sure Uncle Ryan won't mind?"

"No of course not, even he understands you cant walk around in the same clothes all the time"

"Yes but what about all the other stuff" maybe he might not be as understanding about the curling wand and make up.

"Honestly honey its been my pleasure getting those things for you" Gen started to help me unpack the shopping bags "I spend all my time with guys, especially when I go on tour with them. And now we have a son, I kinda feel out numbered. So its refreshing to have a girl to have fun with" that made perfect sense I guess. Gen handed me the make up "I am guessing you know how to apply it?" She started to blush a little.

"Yeah, when my Mom was being normal we actually used to do normal stuff like that, she never took me shopping though. Her money only ever used to stretch as far as...well yeah anyway" I cut off when I saw Gen starting to look at me with pity in her eyes.

"Well you don't have to worry about that anymore honey, me and Uncle Ryan will take of that for you" Gen touched my arm "And I would love to go sholping again sometime, I had fun today. And Copeland is out for the count so thats another bonus, hey listen why don't you finish up here and then I will make us something to eat?"

"Okay" Gen leaves the room closing the door behind her. I walk over to my drawers and put some earphones in my ipod. I flick through the albums I have downloaded and start to play Sam Smith- I know I'm not the only one. I can't fight the urge to sing along "But when you call me baby, I know I'm not the only one..." I put my heart and soul into each lyric. I had been told by a number of people I had a good voice, and as I recall the people of Florida thought so too. I made quite alot of money whenever I went busking on the streets.

As you have probably guessed the past few years of my life have involved me going out busking or selling my artwork on the street to raise money to keep me and my Mom fed and a roof over our heads. It wasn't until recemtly we ended up living in a squat with a few other people.

This new idea of being taken care of would take some getting used to, not that I am complaining it was nice not to have to worry about where my next meal was coming from. I guess you could say I wasn't your usual kind of kid...you could put me anywhere in the world and say 'there you go, good luck' and I would be like wow, now I have to find my way home this is incredible. But in a good way not a scared way, change didn't scare me and neither did new people, what did scare me though was the thought of being loved by someone, and then letting them down.

"Mia are you about ready for dinner?" Gen shouted from the kitchen "Do you want pasta or pizza?" She obviously remembers the conversation we had, had in the mall about me loving Italian food.

"Erm Pizza please" I yell back as I fold the bags flat and put them in my bottom drawer. I then pick up my phone of the side and take in with me into the kitchen. Gen is just putting a pizza in the oven.

"Who was that covering Sam Smith? I don't think I've heard it before?" Was Gen being serious or teasing me it was hard to tell.

"Erm it was me" I say slowly, she didn't laugh so I assumed she wasn't joking.

"You're kidding right?" Now she was laughing a little, but I get the impression she now thinks I am teasing her "Wow, was it really you?" I nod, I'm not really sure what to say to convince her "Where did you learn to song like that?" She was genuinely stunned now.

"Erm I've always sang like it, but I do alot of singing and music at school" I explain "Well did, when I was at my old school I mean"

Gen laughed at my clumsy talking "What instruments do you play?" She smiled, she looked like she was plotting something "come with me" She grabbed my hand and dragged me down the hallway and towards the back of the house.

"Erm guitar and piano" I laugh as I try and keep up.

"Perfect" she smiles as she pushes open a door. Behind the door in a white room is what looks to be a recording studio...this is where Ryan works when he is home, I think giddily to myself, it still strikes me as weird that I will be sharing my home with the man who has written hits for Beyonce and Leona Lewis.

"Take your pick" Gen's voice zones in on me and my thoughts are restored. I look up and see she is gesturing towards a black grand piano and a guitar.

"Won't he mind?" I ask nervously, I am drawn instantly to the piano "What shall I play?" I am very nervous, no-one outside of school has ever asked me to play before. I go with something I know and start to play the first chords of Diamonds by Rihanna "Shine bright like a diamond, shine bright like a diamond..."

Each note tingles through my body as I play, the piano is beautiful and obviously expensive, its not tingy like the one at school. I close my eyes as I let the song take me away, the ivory keys mould to my fingers perfectly allowing me to work them effortlessly. My voice echoed around the room and for the first time in a long time I actually felt like my Mom was with me, for that four minutes or so I felt like she was in the room. I felt abit silly when I opened my eyes as I finished the song. Gen was smiling at me with tears in her eyes "That was so beautiful Mia, your Uncle Ryan is gonna want to see this" she grinned excitedly.

"Oh no please don't tell him" I gasp, she can't tell him.

"Why on earth not, Mia you are very talented" she frowned at me curiously.

"I just don't want to waste his time, I'm not really that good" I exhale, I know I am nowhere near good enough to let Ryan hear, I would only embarrass myself.

"Oh My God Mia, do you honestly have no idea how good you are?" Gen seemed shocked "Honey believe me your Uncle Ryan will want to hear this, I promise he will think the same as me"

I nod and agree, I am still a little aprehensive though. I know for sure he will only probably see me as average, I mean the guy has worked with Adele for christ sakes.