Chapter Seventeen

I woke up in a strange room, it was pale blue and smelt like disinfectant. It wasn't until I opened my eyes fully and looked around that I realised I was in hospital. I could see Ryan sleeping in the chair beside my bed "Ryan" I said softly my voice was groggy.

"Hey honey" he said as he opened his eyes and stretched out "How are you feeling?"

"Crap...what happened?" I replied, Ryan frowned and looked at the ground before moving to sit on the edge of my bed.

"You had a seizure baby" Ryan looked into my eyes and smiled weakly "You have been unconcious for nearly 8 hours"

"What?" I was horrified I had never been out for that long before.

"The doctors want to run some tests" He sighed "And they want to keep you in for observation"

"For how long?" I am not happy about this.

"Just tonight" Ryan replied "I'm gonna stay with you aswell"

"Oh no Ryan it's fine" I whisper almost.

"No Mia it's not, you were right " Ryan looked nervous "There was someone outside looking in, the police found footprints"

"It was Phil" I blurt out causing Ryan to stare at me.

"As in your Mom's ex?"

"Yeah" I replied a little less blurty "Well at least I think it was him"

"Why would he come to our house? What does he want?" Ryan questioned and I wasn't sure how to answer him.

"Me?" My reply must have shocked Ryan because he didn't say any thing "My Mom is dead and she owes him money, it's my debt now"

"What?" Ryan continued to stare "So if your Mom owed him money then he'd want the money she owed him surely?" I shook my head and Ryan sat more upright.

"Ryan, I'm more valuable to him than money" I waited for the penny to drop but it obviously hadn't crossed his mind, or it had and he had dismissed it instantly "He can make more money out of me than what my Mom owes him"

"Mia what are you saying?" I think it was finally sinking in "Are you saying...shit Mia has he ever made you, you know for money?" Ryan's voice was full of both horror and concern.

"No" I reply and watch as Ryan's head falls backwards, he looks like he is thanking god "Just my Mom" his head flicked straight back up at me "A few of her regulars told Doug they would be interested when I was old enough"

Ryan was sat silently shaking his head, I gave him a moment to take in what I had just told him. I watched curiously as he perched o t hedge of my bed "Mia I am going to make a promise to you now okay..." I nod and wait "No man will ever touch you without your permission, not while I have air in my lungs. I might not have been there for you while you were growing up, but I want you to know I will be here for you now until the day I die" No-one had ever said anything like this to me before, I had no idea what to say. The words that came out of my mouth next shocked me more than Ryan I think.

"Thanks Dad" Ryan was a little choked by my slip up. He smiled though so I'm guessing he didn't mind too much.

We both looked up as Gen arrived with Copeland on her hip "Hey sweetie, someone's here to see you" as she stepped aside I saw Nathan appear from behind her.

"Hi Mr Tedder, I hope you don't mind me visiting Mia" Nathan smiled in his usual polite manor.

"No it's fine, I need to speak with Gen anyway" Ryan leant forward and kissed my forehead efore standing up "And remember what I said, any man without your permission" my eyes widened in horror, but I couldn't help but smile either. Someone actually cared about me, yeah granted it was embarrassing, but still Ryan was actually behaving like a parent. An embarrassing, caring and fiercely overprotective parent.

Ryan and Gen dissappeared put of my room leaving me alone with Nathan "I'm so sorry about him" I blush and Nathan chuckles.

"It's fine he's just a dad protecting his daughter, I would he the same if I had a daughter as beautiful as you" I was pretty sure that comment had just slipped out, Nathan obviously hadn't filtered it first "So how are you feeling?"

.....................

Nathan and I had been talking for almost an hour when Ryan and Gen came back "Right it's time to go for your tests" Gen smiled "And the doctor said if they're all clear you can go home, he also said The Awards shouldn't be a problem either"

"Awards?" Nathan wondered.

"Yeah we are going to an awards show tonight" I looked up at Nathan "That's if you want to?" There was an awkwardness that Ryan and Gen both picked up on and although Gen thought it was sweet, Ryan panicked.

...................................

"Okay so four of these twice a day?" Ryan held up the red box and I nodded "One of these four times a day" this box was blue "and two of these once a day"

"Yep that's it" I was giving Ryan the run down of my new meds the doctor had given me, because that's the first question they ask you when you have a seizure.

"Okay got it" Ryan always seemed satisfied when he got things like this right, they were small victories, but victories none the less.

It had been almost two weeks the awards show and Nathan and I had a great night, in fact the night had even ended with a kiss. I hadn't told Ryan of course, but I had told Gen. She was so excited for me and Nathan.

Doug hadn't been seen again, but I wasn't stupid enough the think he had given up. Mind you o did have a dad fighting my corner now and I'm pretty sure Ryan was abit more threatening than me or my Mom.