Chapter Eleven

I rub my hands down the side of my pants to stop the from shaking, it was an unsucessful gesture. I am so nervous I can hardly breathe, why in gods name did I agree to play the piano in my audition "Amelia Hawkins" a small woman in a black shirt with a head piece on came over "You're next" Gen giggled excitedly as she grabbed my hands.

"Don't worry you will be amazing" She grins widely, she can see how nervous "Remember what Ryan said, just breathe"

It had been two months since the revelation that I was Ryan's daughter came out. We did all the necessary DNA test and I passed or they were positive whatever so I was officially his daugter. Ryan I wasn't ready to call him Dad yet didn't hesitate once when it came to adding his name to my birth certificate, he seemed proud to be my dad. Although he did suggest we kept it to ourselves when I audition for The Voice.

I gripped Gen's hand tightly as I followed the woman towards the stage door "Shit" I exhaled and Gen frowned at me "Sorry" I winced and she laughed.

"Okay you're on" I look at Gen for reassurance and she simly pushes me up the steps. As I walk on stage I see the audience staring at me, they are whispering. I have never felt so exposed in my life as I nervously shuffle towards the piano which has been placed centre stage. The soles of my white high top converse scrape against the floor as I pull the stool under the piano, I feel my light wash denim shorts ride up and dig into the skin on my upper thigh. My bracelets jingle om my wrist as I reach out and touch the keys, I wait for the nod from the sound guy. He nods and my heart excelerates, I take a deep breath and look down at the keys "I'm waking up to ash and dust, I wipe my brow and sweat my rust..." I try to relax my voice as I continue "I'm breaking in, shaping up and checking out on a..." boom suddenly I see a chair turn, my heart dips as I see its Adam Levigne. Oh my god, oh my god. I somehow manage to contain my emotions and keep singing. Boom another chair turns and then another Christina Aguilera and Ce-Lo Green are now looking at me. I close my eyes and carry on.

"I'm waking up I feel it in my bones, enough to make my systems blow..." my tone is constant now, I feel confident as I continue. Three judges have turned, three fucking judges. Oh fuck I have to pick one, shit who do I pick? I keep my thoughts contained as I sing, I finish the song with a powerful outburst just like I had rehearsed with Ryan. Just as I closed the song on the piano my heart skipped when the final chair turned Blake Shelton was grinning widely at me shit they are all standing. Tears filled my eyes and I could hardly stand. I managed to gather myself enough though to move from behind the piano amd walk over to the microphone "Oh my god" I gasp as I watch them all sit down.

"Hello honey" Christina smiles "What's your name?"

"Amelia Hawkins, Mia for short" I stutter clumsily.

"And how old are you Mia?" She asks, my voice falters a little as I answer.

"15"

"Wow Mia, that was beautiful" Christina seemed in awe of me...me what?! "And you are only 15?" I nod.

"WOW" Adam interrupts "Mia, Mia, Mia" he looks straight at me "That is an amazing talent you have there, how long have you been singing?"

"Erm since I could talk really, singing is something I have always loved" I smile, in my head I am still trying to decide why they have all turned aepund for me. My mind zooms out a little as I listen to each one of them fight for me all telling me there qualities as judges. I hear Adam say its time to make a decision and my mind goes blank for a few seconds shit so much pressure I look at each one of the judges individually and picture myself working with each of them.

"Erm" I try and speak but words choke me a little "The person I'd like to work with is..." we had been promted what to say if it came to this point "Christina" It wasn't really a fair competition for the judges I had already half decided which judge would be the best for me. Ryan had helped me to decide, Christina was a perfect choice.

I feel Christina hug me and then I make my way down the line of rejected judges, judges which have been rejected by me, it is all very surreal.

As I walk back stage I am greeted by Gen, she flings her arms around me and shifts my balance with her body weight "Oh my god I am so proud of you" she beams "I told you you could do it. How do you feel?" She releases me from her grip.

"Incredible" I exhale, she was right doing this did make me feel amazing. I have never been so confident in myself.

X-x-x

I was still on cloud nine as we drove back to the house, I was watching everything we passed out of the window "Ryan is gonna be so excited when we tell him" Gen beamed "Hey are you okay honey?"

I hadn't noticed the tears strayed out of my eyes and down my cheek "Yeah" I whisper "I just wish my Mom was here to see me now" Gen took one of her hands off the steering wheel and grabbed my hand.

"I know sweetie, I am sure she was watching though?"

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes sweetie I am almost certain of it, you made her proud today. You made us all proud"

A smile crept across my face as I looked ahead to the road in front of us. We weren't far from our house now, My home...finally after all these years I had a home and a family.

I felt the tarmac crunching under the car tyres as we pulled onto the driveway, Ryan rushed out onto the porch and down the steps "Well how did you do?" He looked towards Gen and then back at me.

"Four" I grinned as I held for fingers up.

"I knew it" Ryan laughed he hugged me so tightly and lifted me off the floor "Well done angel I am so proud of you"

Gen laughed at Ryan's excitement and I must admit I was finding it hard not to laugh too. He was like an excited kid "And you picked Christina?"

"Yeah" I smiled as he put my feet back on the floor "Hey can I go and play for a while?"

"Yeah sure" Ryan took a step back and looked towards Gen. I walked towards the front door.

"She's missing her Mom" I hear Gen whisper, I walk into the house and head straight for the music studio. I pick up a guitar and start to play, I suppose I am secretly hoping I can lose my feelings in a song.

Hello world I hope your listening, forgive me if I'm young for speaking out of turn.

I can sense Ryan and Gen are watching me from the door, but I don't turn. I just continue to play, all my feelings float away in the music...

Everything I can't be is everything you should be, and thats why I need you here.

Everybody I can be is everything you should be and thats why I need you here...

So hear this now come home, come home. Coz I've been waiting for you for you for so long, for so long.

Right now theres a war between the vanities, but all I see is you and me.

The fight for you is all I've ever known, so come home, come home...

......
.....

A/N

I have based the character of Mia on Savannah Outen, in looks and voice. She has alot of videos on YouTube and also some covers on Spotify. So have a look and let me know what you think of her Radioactive cover (the one I used for the voice audition).