Chapter Ten

I find myself simply staring at the man in front of me, for some reason I start to see him differently "I'm gonna give you some time alone I think you need to talk properly" Gen smiles weakly as she leaves the room and closes the door behind her.

Ryan finally looks me in the eyes "I wish I knew what to say to you" he said shakely, the realisation that he could be my Dad has obviously shocked him to the core.

"You can start by explaining what actually happened between you and my Mom, all she told me was I was the result of a one night stand" I frown and Ryan takes a deep breath in.

"It was just a one night stand" Ryan seemed regretful "All Shannon ever was, was Gen's sister who was having a baby, Gen told me she had a pregnant sister when we first got together. I never met her or saw a picture of her, but Gen and her parents talked about her alot. Then after you were born we had been invited to thanks giving dinner. You and your Mom was there, as soon as I saw her I remembered who she was and the fact she had, had a baby freaked me out"

"So what did you do?" I asked

"I asked her if you were mine and she said that she was already pregnant when we slept together, but she didnt know at the time. The dates didn't match up for you to be mine so it didn't cross my mind again until the last week"

"Last week?"

"When Gavin said you look liked me" Ryan looked at the floor "I tried to shake it off and put it to the back of my mind but now that you have said you were early. Its becoming too much of a coinsidence for me not to be...well you know"

"Did my Mom know who you were before she met you? Did she know you were her sisters new boyfriend?"

"No we were both surprised to be introduced to each other at Thanks Giving"

"What about Gen?" I wondered when Ryan had told Auntie Gen.

"I told her the next morning after Shannon skipped town, Gen was devastated and didn't understand why her sister had left. She blamed herself so I told her it could have been my fault. Gen was furious at first but we talked about it and we both decided that Shannon had left because she didn't want to hurt Gen, and that there was no way you were mine"

"So let me get this straight, you slept with my Mom before you met Auntie Gen. Then about 8 months later you went to a Thanks Giving dinner where you were introduced to my Mom and her new baby girl" Ryan nods as I repeat what I understand "You thought I might be yours but my Mom told you it was impossible because she was already pregnant when you slept together? Then when she realised who you were and the fact you were with Gen she took off?"

"Yeah, I know its shit and I am so sorry" Ryan was sincere, for once in my life someone had actually apologised and meant it "I swear to you, if I had known then what I do now, I would never have let her take you away" he now has his hands on my arms and is looking me straight in the eyes.

"She told me she didn't know who my dad was, he was just some guy" I had tears in my eyes "Why didn't she tell me it was you, why would she let me live the way I did when she knew I was your daughter. I don't understand did she hate me that much?" Ryan wraps his arms around me.

"Hey no of course she didn't hate you, she was probably trying to protect your Auntie Gen" I felt my tears soaking into Ryan's shirt "Your Mom loved you in her own way, don't you ever forget that"

"What about you? Do you still want me to leave?" I look up at Ryan and he shakes his head.

"Not a chance, I have already let you down once. I have no intention of doing that again...not ever" he hugs me tightly again and for the first time I feel safe, I feel like I am finally home.

......................................

I woke up in my bed the next morning hoping it was all a bad dream and actually for a few moments I believed it was, until I saw the photo on my counter next to my bed. It was a photo of My Mom, Ryan and Zach, it must have been taken the night in question. Ryan had given it to me, I wasn't really sure why he kept it.

The house was quiet so I decided to use it to my advantage. I crept quietly past Copeland's room and towards the music studio. To my surprise Ryan had beaten me to it "Hey" I smiled weakly "I take it its in our blood, turning to music for answers I mean"

"Yeah, hey listen Mia I just wanted to let you know whenever you are ready to talk about this I am right here" Ryan was sat behind the piano.

"I know, I just need to process it all first"

"Yeah I know what you mean, its alot to take in" Ryan exhaled.

"I'm sorry" I feel bad for turning Ryan's world upside down he didn't ask for any of this. Maybe I shouldn't have come here.

"You have nothing to be sorry for" Ryan frowned at me, he stood up and walked closer to me "I should have done more to find out the truth, I shouldn't have taken your Mom's word for it?"

"Then why did you?"

"I was being a little selfish I guess. I had just started a relationship with your Aunt Gen, I knew if I was your dad it would risk me losing everything. When Shannon told me you weren't mine I..."

"You didn't try and argue because deep down it was what you were hoping for?" I didn't mean to end Ryan's sentence. He nodded and put his hand on my shoulder "But don't for a second think I am dissappointed now I know the truth, as soon as you are ready I'd really like it..."

"What?" Ryan looked a little cautious.

"I'd like to do a DNA test so I can add my name to your birth certificate...thats only if its okay with you?"

"Yeah" I nod, I think its okay with me. My head is still spinning after the revelation if Ryan being my Dad.