Chapter Fourteen

Okay so my first day at school turned out to he much better than I expected, I had made a friend in Nathan which was awesome.

Nathan walked with me to the gate "Are you sure you don't want a ride home, Gen won't mind"

"No it's fine I brought my bike" I can't help but smile at the thought of Nathan on a bicycle, little did I realise he meant a motorcycle shit.

"Maybe I could give you a ride home sometime?" He grinned widely...Jesus I hardly think Ryan would be able to handle me coming home on the back of a motorbike.

"Yeah maybe" I smile, he puts his helmet on "See you tomorrow"

I hear Gen beeping her horn behind me, as I turn Nathan gets on his motorcycle revs it up and rides past me.

"Did you have a good first day sweetie?" Gen beamed in her usual cheerful manner "Who was that boy on the motorcycle?"

"Oh that's Nathan" I smile "He's great...and just a friend" I smirk as I see Gen's eyes light up suggestively.

"Oh, well it's great you have made a friend honey" Gen pulled away from the sidewalk "Hey listen your gran and grandpa have taken Copeland for the night so I thought we could have a girly night"

"Yeah okay" I love the sound of this idea "What did you have in mind?"

"Well I thought I'd leave that up to you, as long as we go and eat at some point I don't mind"

"Oh okay, well food and then a movie?" She grins widely at my idea "Can I go home to change first though?"

"Yeah sure, so did you get this boys number?" Gen smirked ad she kept her eyes on the road.

"I did actually yeah" I reply as I look down at my phone, I think I was secretly willing for him to text me.

"Oh good" Gen turns onto the driveway and cuts the engine. As we both head inside the house I am surprised to see a letter on the table next to the door. It is addressed to me, it looks very official.

"What's this?" I frown as I show Gen the envelope.

"I don't know it came this morning" she answered as she watched me open the envelope.

"Dear Miss Amelia Shannon Hawkins, it is my great pleasure to write and inform you that your artwork titled 'The Storm' has been specially selected by our featured artist, to appear along side his work in our gallery" I read the letter out loud "Holy shit, is this for real?" I exclaim as I look at Gen, my hands are shaking.

"Let me take a look at that" Gen takes the letter and after reading it she squeals excitedly "Oh my god Mia, this is amazing. Your artwork will be featured in an exhibition in New York and will be on show for 3 months"

My hands were trembling with excitement, nothing like this had ever happened to me before.

"Oh wow we have to call Ryan, he is travelling to New York next week" Gen is beyond excited now "We could meet him there for a few days"

"Could we?" The thought of seeing my work in a real exhibition was beyond anything I could have ever imagined. This time I wasn't just a competition winner I was actually going to be a featured guest artist.

"Yeah of course, Ryan will be made up" Gen takes her phone out of her pocket "Hadn't you better get changed?" She laughs.

I quickly remember our plans and rush towards my bedroom, still firmly gripping the letter in my right hand. I read it again once I get in my bedroom, it's hard to take it in.

I quickly change into a blue dress and some strapy sandals, I run a brush through my hair and spray some perfume one my neck "Mia" Gen calls from the hall way "Where did you want to eat tonight?"

"That place Ryan took us when he came home" I call back, I look in the mirror and apply a little more eyeshadow and blusher, not forgetting some clear lip gloss "Stephano's?"

"Yeah okay sweetie I will book a table, oh and don't forget to text Ryan with your news" I heard Gen's footsteps dissappear down the hall. My cell phone was on the side next to my mirror. I picked it up and took a picture of my letter 'look what came for me today :) Mia xxx'...I hit send and then wait for a reply, I jumped at the sound of my phone ringing.

"Hello Ryan" I saw Ryan's name flash on the screen.

"Hey honey, oh my god that's huge" Gen was right, Ryan was over the moon. He sounded just as excited as I was "We need to celebrate when I come home"

"Gen is taking me out tonight" I reply.

"Yeah but I mean properly" Ryan chuckles "Wait are you coming to see it in New York? I could meet you all there"

"Yeah she mentioned that too" it sometimes blew my mind how similar Ryan and Gen were, they had so much in common and sometimes they even thought the same.

"Cool, I'll call her later and we can sort something out"

"Don't you want to talk to her now?" I wonder.

"No it's fine, I am just doing a soundcheck at the moment..."

"Oh sorry I didn't realise..." I quickly apologise.

"Hey don't be silly, news like this needs to be told as soon as possible. I couldn't not ring you when I saw the letter. Mia I am so proud of you baby girl" Wow I wasn't really expecting that reaction from Ryan, we had become quite close over the months. But having people who genuinely cared about me was still a very surreal exerience for me.

"Thanks" I manage.

"No problem" Ryan chuckles, I assume he is just as thrown by this as I am. Being a Dad to a 10 month old baby boy is completely different to being the Dad of a 16 year old girl.

So far though Ryan was doing fine, I had never been so grateful to have found such amazing people...For once in my entire life I actully felt lucky...