Chapter Sixteen

"A motorcycle" I watched Ryan's face screw up with frustration "You rode on the back?"

"Yeah" I replied nervously "Nathan's a good driver"

"Yep" Shit Ryan was pissed off "Take many girls out on the back of your motorcycle do you Nathan?" Oh my god was Ryan really going all protective Dad on me?

"No sir" Nathan stuttered. Oh come on he ain't that scary. I just wanted the ground to swallow me up, how could this be a real situation.

"Ryan, me and Nathan are just friends from school" I put him out of his misery "It's not like that"

"Yeah that's right Mr Tedder me and Mia are just good friends" Nathan quickly spoke up "I don't see her in that way"

"And why not?" Ryan turned on the Mr Nasty again, I smiled when I saw the corners of his mouth lifting "Relax man I'm just kidding, pleased to meet you Nathan" Ryan grinned and Nathan relaxed.

"Coming here on the back of a motorcycle...bad ass" Zach whispers so Ryan can't hear him. I laugh and Nathan frowns at me.

"So Nathan what has Mia told you about me?" Ryan handed Nathan a Soda.

"Not much actually" Nathan looked cautious "In fact she hasn't told me anything about you?" Ryan raised an eyebrow and looked at me.

"It's not really something you can just drop into conversation" I shrug with a cheeky smile.

"That is a fair point dude" Drew interrupts.

"Well maybe now you could enlighten your friend" Ryan teased.

"Fine" I half frown and half chuckle "Ryan this is my friend Nathan, Nathan this is Ryan...my Dad" Nathan's head turns quickly towards me. He is staring at me with his mouth gaping wide. Obviously in disbelief.

"Your Dad" Nathan repeats "Ryan Tedder is your Dad? I mean your real life Dad...?"

"See what I mean" I smirk gesturing towards a stunned Nathan "It's not your average conversation starter is it?"

"This is awesome" Nathan exhales "Why haven't you told anyone at school?"

"Erm hello" after that reaction is he seriously asking me this question "I don't need a load of fake friends"

"Yeah okay" Nathan agreed "Well now I know your secret does that mean we can hang out at your house now?"

I turned to look at Ryan who looked horrified "Downstairs only" he said as he pointed at us both. Eddie and Brent moved a hand up to their mouths to hide their smiles.

..............................

"I still can't believe Ryan Tedder is your Dad" Nathan sighed as we stood outside "It must have been awesome growing up in the same house as..."

"I didn't grow up with him" I reply "I lived with my Mom until...until she died" I wasn't really sure why I was telling Nathan this, I never really opened up to anyone about my feelings or my past "I didn't even know he was my dad until recently, when I went to stay with him and my Aunt Gen, my Mom was her sister"

"That must be awkward" Nathan said without thinking.

"Not really" I reply "Gen is great, it's complicated but short version is Ryan didn't cheat on Gen..."

...........................

"So what happened to your mom?" I felt my body shrink as Nathan asked the dreaded question.

"Drug overdose" Shit what did I tell him that for.

"OH shit Mia I'm sorry" and cue the awkward silence...to my surprise though there wasn't one.

"My brother died from an overdose last year" I frowned as Nathan told me "He was 19"

"I'm sorry" I put my hand on his arm.

"Yeah me too, about your Mom I mean" he rested his hand on top of mine.

"Thanks" I reply and see Nathan grinning again.

"Ryan Tedder is your Dad though, Mia that's huge" I hit Nathan playfully "You have to admit it is very cool"

"Cool?" I laugh "Did you just use the word cool...what are you 70?"

"Shut up cool is a perfectly fine word" Nathan defended himself quickly.

..............

"Hey did you guys want to grab pizza" Eddie interupted from the door, I nod and Nathan agrees it's a good idea. Pizza with OneRepublic who wouldn't think that was a good idea...me I guess, pizza with your dad and his mates Hmmm.

..............................

"So how did your date go?" Gen rushed to greet us as Ryan and I arrived home.

"Date?" Ryan repeated "It wasn't a date, he rides a motorcycle"

"Oh you know about that then?" Gen frowned and watched Ryan hang up his coat "How did that go?" She whispered.

I rolled my eyes and shrugged and Gen laughed "What about Nathan how did he take it?"

"Pretty well, he thinks and I quote having Ryan tedder as my dad is cool" I look at Ryan who is smiling confidently.

"Hey I have an award thing to go to tomorrow night and Gen can't make it, how would you like to come and invite Nathan along" Ryan sipped some water from the bottle he had just taken out of the fridge.

"Yeah okay I'll ask him " I reply.

"Mia he comes in the car though, no motorcycles" Ryan's tone is a little firmer.

"Okay" I grin as I see Gen rolling her eyes.

"They are dangerous" Ryan frowns at Gen and I try not to laugh.

"Yes darling" She kisses his cheek "Mia they are dangerous" she says in a playful tone.

I laugh as I head towards the shower. Even though I am laughing at Ryan's over protectiveness, secretly I am grateful he cares so much about me. I have never had this before, I was so used to being the parent. It made a refreshing change to have someone else being the parent.

I turned on the water and waited for it to get hot, I was tired and wanted to got to bed. As I turned to brush my teeth, still fully clothed, I was surprised to see a face in the window "OH SHIT" I screamed. Within seconds I heard frantic footsteps rushing towards the bathroom door.

I didn't wait for the door to open I, pulled it towards me and rushed into whoever was the other side. Gen hugged me tightly as Ryan rushed into the bathroom "Through the window, he was watching me through the window I managed before Ryan rushed down the hall and our of the door...

"RYAN BE CAREFUL" Gen called out while she was still hugging me tightly. I could hardly catch my breath "Mia it's okay, Mia" Gen said gently but her voice faded and suddenly everything black "RYAN, RYAN"

I heard footsteps pounding towards us before...nothing...