Chapter Five

It had been almost a week since I had been placed in my Auntie Gen and Uncle Ryan's care, and so far I had, had a great week with Gen. I was however starting to feel a little nervous about Uncle Ryan's return, which was scheduled for later on tonight.

Auntie Gen was extremely excited by the thought of him coming, I mean why shouldn't she be. She would have been with him now if it wasn't for me, hell I hope he didnt blame me for taking his wife and kid away from him "Earth to Mia" Gen's voice brought me back to reality "You ok honey?" I just stared at her blankly for a few moments "Mia" she chuckles and waves her hand in front of my face.

"Sorry" I blush a little "What's up?"

"I was just asking if you have a preference for dinner tonight?" She smiled as I looked up at her.

"I thought Ryan would want to pick?" I reply but she shakes her head

"He told me to ask you to pick" oh great so not only did I steal his family away, I could also pick out his worst meal possible for his first night back with them...no pressure or anything.

"Mia" Gen frowns at me, I had zoned out again obviously. I giggle and look at her coyly.

"Sorry I did it again didn't I? I just want to make to right impression, what if he hates me?" I find myself confessing my biggest fears.

"Mia I promise you, he won't hate you" Gen reassured me "You are more alike than you realise" she says in a gentler tone "So dinner tonight what do you fancy?"

"Sushi" I wince and Gen beams.

"See I told you, you and Ryan have alot in common" she walks into the lounge and starts to fuss around with Copeland who is whining a little. I follow her and sit on the couch, I pick up a magazine and flick through it "Have you had anymore thoughts about school?"

"Not really" I reply honestly "I am still trying to get my head around all this" I point around the house and then smile at her "It's weird having someone to look out for me, that was usually my job"

Suddenly we both jump at the sound of the front door opening and banging shut "Hello Family" a mans voice calls from the hall way.

"OH MY GOD" Gen squeals excitedly and practically throws Copeland in my direction. Luckily I have had some practice with him over the past few days. I know how to physically hold a small person now "RYAN" I hear her cry and then a clash against the wall. I hear them whisper something and then see Gen coming back in the lounge dragging Ryan behind her, by the hand "Mia this is your Uncle Ryan" She smiles sweetly, she must have guessed how nervous I was.

"Ryan this is Mia" Gen looks at Ryan who is sort of staring at me by this point.

"Hi" I wave a little, I stand up and hold Copeland in my arms.

"Oh my god look at you, you have grown at least a foot" he smiles at me and then looks at his son. I hold Copeland in Ryan's direction and he takes him without hesitating "And look at you, I hope you have been behaving yourself"

"Oh he's been a good boy haven't you baby" Gen spoke in a babyish voice, she walked closer to Ryan and started playing with Copeland's hand. I took a step back as they interacted with eachother, they truely were a perfect little family. As I stepped back I felt my feet taking me towards the door. I didn't want to spoil their time together "Mia honey are you ok?" I hear Gen asking.

"Yeah I was just gonna go and get ready for dinner" I smile unconvincingly, I can see Gen hiding a frown behind her hair.

"Okay" she lets me go anyway. As I walk out of the door I hear Ryan speak and Gen replies "She is scared you won't like her, she has been worried about meeting you all week"

"What? Why" Ryan sounds surprised "Yeah I know I was abit unsure at first, but its like we said before Mia needs us to give her this chance. She deserves a fresh start" I half smiled when I heard Ryan speak, he seemed genuinely pleased I was there. I hear the sound of kissing and decided now was the perfect time to dissappear.

I walked into my bedroom and picked up my earphones and ipod, they were exactly where I left them. This was another luxury I was getting used to, things not dissappearing as soon as you put them down. If I was still living in the squat my ipod would have been sold on by now. I quickly flicked through my track list and selected Stay With Me by Sam Smith, before I know it I found myself singing along again.

It started on with gentle hums and then progressed into a full grammy worthy performance. I was that lost in the song I didn't notice an audience had gathered outside my door. I looked round from my wardrobe and almost jumped out of my skin "Shit" I cry but quickly apologised for cursing. Ryan and Gen are stood smiling at me, suddenly my fears all hit me at once. What if he thinks I am rubbish? My heart is now pounding as I wait for him to speak. I remove my earphones so I could at least hear him if he did speak.

"When Gen told me that was you singing I didn't believe her so I came to see for myself" Ryan seemed in awe "You have an excellent tone in you voice, its incredible honestly. Wow" I feel like I need to pinch myself or something, was this really happening. My Uncle Ryan was telling me my voice was incredible, he actually thought I was good...

X-x-x

I actually got along with Ryan alot better than I thought I would, he is so funny and down to earth. Not much different to Gen if I was honest, we had just arrived at the resrurant and Ryan was more than happy with my choice "So Mia did you leave any friends in Florida?" Ryan asked me as he ate his food.

"Yeah my best friend Billie" I reply as I look down at my hands, thinking about Billie made me sad "I miss her"

"Well maybe when you have settled in we can see about visiting her, I am sure my tour will take me past Florida at some point" I was so excited by the idea that I flew off my chair and hugged Ryan.

"Oh my god thank you" I squeal, as I almost knock him off his chair "Sorry" I back away immediately. Ryan is laughing at me, much to my relief.

I sit back in my seat and Copeland laughs at me from his high chair "I think someone wants cuddles" Auntie Gen giggles as she unstraps him and hands him to me.

As much as I love him and would love to take him, something in my body is telling me no. I hold my hand up to resist Gen and can see the look of concern in hers and Ryan's faces...shit its happening again I think to myself "Mia honey are you ok?" Gen quickly straps Copeland back in the highchair and stands beside me. The next thing I see is the blue carpeted floor...then suddenly everything goes blank.