Part 4

"Yo! Check this chick out!" The one closest to her called out to the pack, and a shiver went up Keeley's spine, but she continued to ignore them. "Eh? Dude, that's just the mute weirdo. Let's go." another called back to him. Keeley's face went red with anger and embarrassment, she wanted to say something, defend herself, but she couldn't muster a single word. "Aw, come on, man, im sure I can get her to talk," The one close to her said as he hopped off his bike and walked in front of Keeley to block her path. "Come on, say something." He leaned down to look at Keeley's face.

Putting her head down, Keeley tried to rear around him, but he stopped her by putting his arm out. "Come on! Talk!" he yelled in her ear. She winced at this, and in giving in, she whispered, "let me go..." The group was dissatisfied with her response. "Louder! we couldn't hear you!" A guy from the group yelled out. Keeley stood silent for a moment, and the boy in front of her shifted his head to see Keeley's face. He got very close to Keeley, causing her to step back. "Did you not hear him? He said to say it louder!" the guy got aggressive. Keeley got impatient and yelled, "I said let me go!" punching the guy in the face, knocking him back slightly. A chorus of "Oh's" roared from the group of boys. Keeley ran for the convenience store as the guy she punched yelled, "Get back here, you b*tch!".

The door dinged as Keeley bolted inside in a panic. She paused to catch her breath, leaning on the door, then decided that since she was already there, she might as well get some food. Hurrying around the store, Keeley grabbed a sandwich from the heat box and a sprite bottle from a fridge, then placed both on the checkout counters, holding the cash out of her pocket. "That all?" a familiar voice asked, and Keeley looked up at the checkout worker. It was Owen. Keeley went red and looked back down. "Yeah..." she murmured. "These are good picks. This is my favorite sandwich," Owen said while scanning the barcode. "Yeah..." she murmured again. "'Yeah,' That's all you got?" Owen chuckled with a bright smile "yea- mhm."

Keeley cut herself off. She did sound like a scratched record playing the same part of a song repeatedly. "Would you like a bag?" Owen asked Keeley as he reached for the brown paper bag pile. "Yes, please..." Keeley could get her voice to get any louder. Owen snatched a bag and folded it open, placing both items inside it. Keeley grabbed the top of the bag, crumpling it slightly with her grip. She then turned to face the exit but paused when she saw that the group she had run into earlier was sitting outside waiting. Owen noticed Keeley's pause by the door. "Forgot something?" he asked. Keeley didnt turn, staring at the boys out with wide eyes. "No," she said clearly. Owen peered over the counter to see out the door and noticed the boys out. "Oh! Would you look at that!" Owen called out, looking at his watch. 

"Hm?" Keeley hummed, turning to look at him. "My shift just ended. Wait up for me. I'll walk you home," Owen announced as he backed into the locker room. He came out a moment later wearing a black t-shirt, a yellow and green flannel jacket, and some loose-fitting dark blue jeans. "Let's go." He said as he very lightly grazed Keeley's back with the palm of his hand, slightly pushing her, and continued to the door. Keeley's shivered at his touch and blushed profusely, putting her face down, so he wouldn't see. "Okay..." she began murmuring again.