Part 14

The girls walked down the sidewalk, which was familiar to Keeley, but this time she felt jittery. It was a collection of things that made her nervous, the possibility of seeing the group of guys she had run into the other night again, trying to impress her new friend, and going to see Owen intentionally. She tried to calm herself as they walked, with little success. Once at the store, they stood silently in the parking lot momentarily. "Is that him in there?" Ann asked Keeley as they stared at the figure through the window "mhm...." Keeley hummed. "Alrighty then, let's go," Ann said as she grabbed Keeley's arm again. Right before they walked through the door, she let go of Keeley's arm, and Keeley shuffled in behind Ann as the bell rang its familiar ring.

Keeley jumped slightly at the ding of the bell, then glanced around to ensure no one noticed. Both girls strolled around the store. Ann directed Keeley's movements through the isles, pretending to pick things up, looking at them, then putting them back down again. Finally, after a few minutes and a couple of short glances in their direction from Owen, Ann decided it was a good moment for Keeley to go and talk to him. "Take this," she told Keeley, handing her a chocolate bar. "Im going to keep 'browsing.' go buy that and start a conversation," Ann winked and pushed Keeley lightly toward the front counter, where Owen stood. He watched her as she approached the counter and placed the chocolate bar before him. "Is that everything?" Owen asked as he picked up the bar to scan it. Keeley stood, making sure her eyes didnt meet Owen's. "My friend is... um... That's all for me, yes...." She stammered. Owen nodded and scanned the bar. As he did so, Keeley glanced at Ann and mouthed the word 'help.' Ann looked at her very clearly and ignored her. Keeley furrowed her eyebrows in Ann's direction, then relaxed her face and turned back to Owen. "have those guys bothered you again?" he asked as he slid the chocolate bar on the counter to Keeley. "No," Keeley replied bluntly. "That's good," Owen huffed. "It's a dollar seventy-five" Keeley looked puzzled for a moment "Hm?" she hummed. "The chocolate bar," Owen reminded her. "Oh!" she gasped. "Right." Keeley dug her hand into her pocket, which was empty. She mentally slapped herself across the face, remembering how quickly Ann had pulled her out of her room. She didnt have any time to grab money. "Um..." Keeley grumbled, then turned her head to face Ann. "Did you bring money?" she shouted across the store. Ann froze, staring blankly into the space in front of her. Keeley changed her mind; now, she was mentally slapping Ann across the face. Keeley quickly turned back to face Owen and grabbed the chocolate bar. "I'll put this back," she said, returning to the shelf where Ann had picked up the bar. She dropped it back down in the back of the row as Ann hurried over to her. Keeley lightly bumped Ann in the back of the head with her palm, her hair pillowing the blow a little. This time Keeley grabbed Ann's arm and dragged her out of the store "Goodnight, Owen." Keeley grumbled as the bell on the door rang. They stepped out, and the door closed behind them. Keeley let go of Ann's arm and began walking toward her house.