Part 10

After the incident in her first class, Keeley kept herself entirely invisible for the rest of the day, Making sure no teachers would call on her for anything. The day's final bell rang, and Keeley dashed out of her last class as the rest of the students walked toward the gym for their varsity team's volleyball game. She stepped out of the doors and into the strong winds of the cold autumn air. She zipped up her jacket and speed-walked home. Keeley stopped at the crosswalk that connected the school and her neighborhood. As she stood waiting for the crossing sign to change, Ann ran up behind her, "Hey Keels! You free tonight?" she asked, and she swung her arm over Keeley's shoulder. "Yeah..." Keeley responded, slightly shaken by Ann's sudden appearance.

"Sweet! Let's have a sleepover. Does your place work?" Ann announced happily, "we can... my place, yes." Keeley stammered. The crossing sign switched, allowing Ann and Keeley to cross "whoop whoop!" Ann cheered as she thrusted both arms up and down in the air. Keeley walked next to Ann as she continued discussing the plans for that evening. The more she spoke, the more Keeley zoned out "-and we could bake something, maybe play a board game-..." her voice faded as Keeley faced directly down the sidewalk, only focused on getting home.

"This is my house," Ann announced, standing a couple of paces behind Keeley, who had continued walking when Ann stopped in front of her door. Keeley stopped abruptly and turned to look at Ann, then the house. It was one of the area's biggest ones: Two stories with outer brick walls, a bright blue door, and black framed windows. Colorful green bushes lined the house's front walls, and vines grew up the sides. The roof had black tiling and a brick chimney that peaked out the back. "Whoa..." Keeley mumbled to herself. "Come inside. I have to pack a bag," Ann invited Keeley inside with a wave of her arm. Keeley followed her inside with no hesitation.

The interior was clean but colorful, with no sad beige colors. Pictures hung on the walls of Ann's family, and trophies sat in a large glass case by the wooden stairs, which were carpeted with a red flowery carpet and lined with classic white wooden railings. A woman wearing black dress pants and a flowy white button-up started strutting toward the girls from the back of the hallway. "Annie bear!" the woman cried out as she jumped at Ann, giving her a long hug. She pushed herself out of the hug and placed her hands on Ann's shoulders. "How was your day, sweet girl?" she asked Ann in her soft but high-pitched voice. "It was great, mom! I made a new friend!" Ann replied with a big smile and then glanced at Keeley. "Oh! How wonderful, it is lovely to meet you- um?" Ann's mom said as she grabbed Keeley's hand with both of hers and shook them. She paused and turned to look at Ann. 

"Keeley." Ann finished her moms' sentence. "Keeley!" her mom called out, shaking Keeley's hand even faster. "What a wonderful name!" she released Keeley's hands and fixed her posture. "Why dont you stay for dinner, Keeley?" her mom offered. "Actually, im sleeping over at Keeley's tonight," Ann intruded as she began to walk up the stairs. "Oh boo-hoo! Leaving your mom all alone," Her mom said with a fake, exaggerated frown. She perked herself back up and put on a smile again. "Oh well! You girls have fun, but not too much fun," her mom winked and walked back down the hallway to the living room. Ann and Keeley climbed up the stairs and walked into Ann's room. Ann quickly packed a backpack with a pair of pajamas, her toothbrush, toothpaste, and her phone charger. "that should be everything. Let's head out!" Ann proclaimed, and they left the house.