Part 25

Keeley woke up, a bright haze of white stinging her eyes. As she rose into a sitting position, her ears started ringing again, and her head was pounding. "Augh!" she groaned, placing her head on her forehead and leaning back down. Suddenly her mom, dad, and Ann rushed through the white curtain surrounding her. "Keeley!" her mom zipped to her and clasped her hand between her own. "Dear God, Keeley, you scared us!" she exclaimed as she pressed Keeley's hand to her forehead. "Sorry..." she choked out. Ann strolled up to her with a slight grin on her face. "I know you don't feel so great right now, but you have a visitor you'll be excited about," she said. Keeley's dad cut into the conversation, "we couldn't stay in your room after visiting hours, but he sat with us in the hallway all night. He's a good kid," he nodded. Ann left the curtain and returned a minute later with Owen beside her, a plastic bag hanging from his wrist. "Hey... I did a quick run over to the store and picked up the sandwich you like," he scratched the back of his head bashfully "if you can't stomach it right now, it's all good!" he assured, placing the plastic bag on Keeley's lap. Keeley's mouth started salivating as she folded the bag open and pulled the sandwich out. She quickly unwrapped the foil around the sandwich and devoured a large bite. The group giggled, and Owen smiled with soft eyes at Keeley, her mouth dusted with crumbs and bits of cheese. She swallowed, wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, and smiled wide back at Owen.