Part 24

Keeley spent the rest of her evening with Ann and her mom. After Keeley's apology settled in, it was almost as if nothing had happened. Keeley and Ann continued to joke with each other and enjoy each other's company, and Ann's mom returned to the joyful woman Keeley had initially known her to be. After dinner, a multi-course steak meal was made by Ann's personal chef, Keeley. Ann and Ann's mom sat together in the living room, eating popcorn and watching Legally Blonde, Ann's mom's favorite movie because she was a Lawyer. She had told Keeley she worked hard in law school but even harder on her "Elle Woods energy'" which made Keeley laugh. As the moving was about to finish, dread set in on Keeley; once the movie ended, she most likely would have to go home.

The idea of seeing her mom made a wave of cold wash over her. She had forgotten about the argument her mom and she had while she was with Ann and her mom. The movie credits started playing along with the song Perfect day. Ann's mom turned to Keeley. "It's getting late. Would you like me to drive you home, sweetie?" she asked. Keeley was about to accept her offer, then thought of how her mom would react if the mother of the girl she specifically told her not to hang out with dropped her off at home. She was less worried for herself and more concerned for Ann's mom. After how her mom acted today, Keeley realized she didn't really know her. "No, thank you. I don't live far. I can walk," she said as she stood up from the couch. "Alright... well, let Ann walk home with you," Ann's mom suggested. This made Keeley freeze, imagining how her mom would react to Ann's mom. She didnt even want to think of how she would respond to Ann. "No, really, I'll be fine. Thank you again." she stammered out before rushing for the front door "Goodnight!" she called out before going out the door, not waiting for a response. She walked down the path and onto the sidewalk, then began sprinting home.

Once Keeley was a far enough distance from Ann's house, she slowed down and continued walking. She looked up as she walked, watching the stars twinkle in the night sky. Suddenly a voice spoke behind her. "We have got to stop meeting like this," a deep male voice said. Keeley's heart started racing, and she turned to face the voice owner. "Owe-" she paused and gasped. She looked into the individual's eyes. They were bright blue and rage-filled, a faded bruise surrounding one eye. "Nope." the boy stated smugly before rushing toward Keeley. She screamed and stepped back but was shoved onto the group, her head crashing into the concrete sidewalk. "You think you can punch me and get away with it!?" the boy yelled. Keeley's vision was fuzzy. Gray and white speckles danced around her eyes.

"You are going to pay for giving me this bruise!" he continued yelling, his rage fogging his judgment. Keeley squirmed, her head throbbing, and her vision nearly disappeared. He held her wrists down to the sidewalk on either side of her head, squeezing them tightly with his hands. "Hey! A**hole!" a voice roared in the distance, and something came flying toward the boy's head; a shoe. It directly hit him in the back of his head, and he stood up, getting off Keeley, and she lay half-conscious on the sidewalk. He turned to where the shoe came from. "What the hell..." he grumbled. Ann stood in the distance, her pose was strong, and her feet were planted on the ground. "Get away from my friend!" Ann yelled even louder as she stomped toward the boy. He pulled a pocket knife out of his jeans and whipped the blade out quickly. He threw himself at Ann; his blade pointed at her. Ann dodged his attack and spun behind him, kicking him in the back with the bottom of her foot. He fell to the ground face-first. When he got back up and turned to Ann, his face was bloodied, and he looked dazed. Ann swung her fist at his face and knocked him back down. "3 years of self-defense, b*tch," Ann said as she looked down at the boy, now passed out on the ground.

Ann rushed over to Keeley and crouched beside her "are you awake?" Ann asked her, worry seeping through her tone "mhmm...." Keeley grumbled, forcing the sound out of her throat. Keeley's ears started ringing, and her vision began fading. As she slipped into sleep, she heard Ann dialing a phone number. "Hello, please send an ambulance. My friend is....." her voice faded, and Keeley's vision went black.