Part 28

The next day at school, Keeley and Ann were walking down the hallway. Keeley was describing to Ann how Owen had asked her out. "And it was so perfect with the swings and the sunset," Keeley said dreamily as Ann giggled excitedly. "Dang! He even asked to be his girlfriend. Already?" Ann questioned, "No.." Keeley droned "he said after a few dates when the time is right, he would ask me to be his girlfriend." she stopped outside her classroom door. Ann squealed "so it will happen eventually. That's so exciting!" she hugged Keeley. "I'll see you at lunch! Love ya!" Ann said joyfully, skipping to her class down the hall. Keeley smiled and walked into her class. "Good morning, miss Moore," her teacher greeted her. "You're here early as usual." Keeley nodded in his direction and sat at her usual far back desk. Her teacher smiled at her and returned to his work on his computer. Keeley returned a smile and mimicked him, getting on her computer.

The school day was slow until lunch; Keeley, Ann, and Owen were sitting at their regular table in the library, but today they were not studying. Ann was incessantly quizzing Owen to check his loyalty toward Keeley and his ability to be a boyfriend. Keeley cut in. "Ann, he isn't my boyfriend yet. Let him eat," she waved her hand at Ann in a shooing motion. Ann huffed as she slapped her hands flat onto the table. "As your best friend, it is my duty to question any men in your life thoroughly!" she crossed her arms and tilted her chin upward, pleased with herself. Owen thought for a moment, then pointed at Ann. "How about you? Do I have anyone to question thoroughly in your life Ann?" he mimicked Ann's arm crossing and chin lifting, priding his witty response. Ann froze, and she dropped her head slightly. She cleared her throat.

"No..." her voice became meek. "What! The great romantic Ann? Single?" Owen said playfully, unknowingly ignorant of Ann's sudden somber mood. Keeley placed her hand on Owen's shoulder, and he twisted his neck to look at her. She silently shook her head, telling him to stop. He frowned and looked toward Ann; her arms wrapped around her midsection, and her head tilted down at her knees. Keeley attempted to lighten the mood. "So! Ann, any new essay topic ideas?" she asked Ann with a cheery tone. Ann lifted her head. Her face was still. "Yeah, I was thinking about writing about important black women in history" Ann's eyes lit up mildly as she talked about what she had found through research so far.

Keeley, Ann, and Owen had history after lunch, and they all continued working on their research papers; Owen decided to write about the evolution of soccer, and Keeley chose to write about the check of women's rights throughout history. Their teacher was happy to hear Ann and Keeley's topics but was partially against Owen's but surrendered her attempt to convince him to change it.