Part 12

Keeley quickly stopped and covered her mouth, "What's up?"

Ann questioned Keeley noticing her strange reaction. "Sorry... my laugh is really loud...." Keeley mumbled. Ann exaggerated her facial expression to look wildly disgusted. "What?! Girl, no, it is not!" she demanded. "You gotta stop kicking yourself down!" she persuaded as she leaned on Keeley, wrapping her arm around Keeley's shoulders. Ann stared into Keeley's eyes momentarily and suddenly picked up and threw the dice. She twisted her neck to look at the board. "Yes! Seven moves!" Ann cheered, pulled her body away from Keeley, and began moving her piece. "What?! That was my turn!" Keeley protested as she snatched the dice into her hand. As Keeley threw the dice, Ann landed on her spot, picked up an action card, and began reading it. "'You have gotten stuck in the sugar quick sand, skip your next turn-' What?!"

Ann cried out, flinging her head backward in defeat. "Karma!" Keeley giggled as she moved her piece into the final space, winning the game. "Woop! Woop!" she cheered as she pumped her hands into the air. "Look at me and admire; this is what a winner looks like," Keeley proclaimed, pointing her thumbs at herself. "Oh, mighty Candy Land Queen! Teach me your ways!" Ann pleaded sarcastically on her knees with her fingers wrapped together. "A winner never reveals her secrets," Keeley proclaimed as she crossed her arms, and both girls started laughing. As the girls continued joking and laughing, Keeley's dad came into Keeley's room with a huge smile. "Dinner is ready, girls. Wrap up whatever you're doing and come to the kitchen" Her dad stood in the doorway, leaning against the side. Ann stood up and squeezed past him on her way to the kitchen, Keeley followed her, but her dad stopped her first. "Having fun?" he asked with a grin. Keeley smiled back at him. "mhm!" she replied, then dashed away to meet her friend down the hall.

Keeley and Ann sat next to each other at the dining table, which was set with bowls of chopped tomatoes, onions, and shredded cheese, along with a small tub of sour cream and a glass bottle of red salsa. At the center of the table were a hot pan of ground turkey and a plate of crunchy taco shells. "Thank you for making dinner!" Ann thanked Keeley's parents, who sat across the table. "Of course! We are so happy Keeley has a friend!" Keeley's mom clapped her hands together. "Mom...!" Keeley mumbled, embarrassed. "What? I haven't heard you have this much fun since elementary school." Her mom whined as she leaned both forearms against the table. "Okay, mom, I think Ann gets it," Keeley pleaded as she slid her hands over her face. Ann cut in to spare Keeley. "Im having fun, too!" she assured. "Oh, im so glad!" Keeley's mom pricked up, "Now, please, eat something!" She gestured to everything on the table. The group dug in as Keeley's mom continued telling Ann embarrassing stories about Keeley throughout the meal.