Ch. Six - Part 20

October

It was officially the time of year when Keeley wasn't the only person walking around paranoid, Halloween. Every year the whole town got wrapped up in ghost stories; that inspired pranks by kids with bedsheets stalking around, jumping at any unsuspecting victim, and giving them the fright of their life. Along with the tradition of 'ghosts' running wild, massive Halloween parties are hosted by the town's wealthiest family every year. Keeley has never attended one of these parties, and not for lack of an invite, everyone in town was invited. But when she pictured what most likely happens at those parties, it sent a shiver up her spine, filling her with more terror than the idea of real ghosts jumping out at her.

Keeley sat on the bleachers in the gym. She had avoided P.E. from Freshman year up to Junior year, but it was unavoidable now. She had to get one gym credit to graduate, which she found ridiculous. Her class was playing badminton, one of the more enjoyable sports for Keeley, but they were in singles, and her class had an uneven amount of students. Keeley was the one student who did not have a partner, so she opted to read on the bleachers. "Keeley!" her gym teacher called up; A tall, muscular woman, her wispy black hair was held tightly on her head in a bun. "What are you doing up there?" the teacher shouted to her. Keeley just stared back, her mouth slightly agape. "Don't got a partner?" the teacher questioned. Keeley shook her head back and forth, and the teacher sighed as she rubbed her face from her forehead down to her chin in disappointment.

"This is P.E. Keeley. You have to be physically active...!" the teacher huffed in frustration. "Come on," the teacher waved her arm, gesturing for Keeley to climb down, and so she did. The teacher walked her over to a pair at one of the nets; Saanvi and one of her friends. Saanvi glared at Keeley. "Girls, Keeley is joining you two," the teacher said in a determined voice. "What? Arent we are playing singles?" Saanvi argued as she strutted over to Keeley and the teacher "we can't play singles with three people," she remarked with a snarky tone as she held her racket over one shoulder. "Im sure you'll figure it out," the teacher said with a fake smile that quickly shifted into a stern frown before she walked away. Saanvi groaned. "Well..." Saanvi paused, her mouth twisted into a barely noticeable snarl "are you going to get a racket?" she nagged. Keeley took a small step back, nodding her head vigorously. Saanvi tsked, "well, go get it already!" she snapped before strutting back to her place on the other side of the net to serve the birdie.