Part 17

Keeley waited for Ann outside Ann's house while she was picking up her backpack. It was taking longer than it should, but Keeley was sure Ann's mom had stopped her for a chat. Keeley checked the time on her phone; 2:46. As she was about to put her phone into her bag, it dinged. She brought the screen up to her face again and saw a text notification. She clicked it, opening a chat with Owen. His text read, 'See you at school,' with a red heart emoji at the end. Keeley nearly screamed as she stared at the text. Owen started typing as she stared, squeezing her phone. Her phone dinged again. 'Crap, so sorry! Misclicked.' Keeley's heart dropped to her stomach. Did he mean to send that to someone else? To Saanvi? Maybe he liked Saanvi, and Keeley was too fixated on him to notice. As she stood frozen, panicked, staring at her phone, a notification popped up '*message was edited*' where the heart emoji sat before. There was now a smiling emoji. Keeley still felt uneasy but better now. Ann came out of her house, her backpack over one shoulder. As Ann walked toward Keeley, she noticed her eyes, which were glazed over with tears. The threat of crying hung in front of her. "Did something happen?" Ann asked in a worried tone. Keeley showed Ann her phone screen, the chat displayed on it. "Im confused..." Ann muttered. "It was a heart," Keeley said, hushed. "What was?" Ann asked, still puzzled. "The emoji, he changed it to the smile, but it was a heart." Keeley stammered. "Oh, girl..." Ann said compassionately, "Im sure he didnt mean to lead you on, but that still sucks" she hugged Keeley. Ann pushed out of the hug and touched Keeley's shoulders, "but a smile is still good!" Ann reassured, "Give it time, im sure soon he'll be sending hearts intentionally."