Ch. Seven - Part 26

November 

Owen, Ann, and Keeley sat at a round table in the library, eating lunch and studying. The three of them took the same history class and had a significant research paper coming up. "Have you guys found any interesting topics?" Ann asked the others, lifting her head to glance at them. Ann swallowed a gulp of sweet tea in her mouth, she looked up, and her eyes met Ann's. "Nothing exhilarating.." she huffed. While Keeley was looking away, Owen sneakily grabbed one of her chips sitting in a pile on a napkin. "Uh!" Keeley exclaimed "excuse you!" she said, whipping her head to face Owen as she shoved the chip into his mouth. "Hm?" he hummed slyly as she chewed on the chip. "What?" he grinned. Keeley scoffed "you little thief!" she giggled. They attacked each other in a fit of tickling. Ann rolled her eyes. "The fact that yall aren't officially together is astonishing," she chuckled. Keeley pulled back from Owen and looked down, embarrassed. Quickly Owen threw his arm around the back of Keeley's neck and pulled her into his shoulder. Her eyes were wide. "Says who?" Owen grinned. Keeley shoved her face into the palms of her hands to cover her red face. "Ohhh, smooth Peterson," Ann hummed.

Owen officially asked Keeley on their first date that evening after school; they were sitting on the swings at the elementary school playground about a block away from their high school. The sun was already creeping behind the trees creating a pink-orange sunset in front of them. "Do you need a ride home?" Owen asked as he turned to Keeley in his swing. Keeley nodded. "Sure, thanks..." she mumbled. Owen smiled lightly and turned to face forward again. "Sorry if my joke was too much," Owen sighed apologetically. Keeley quickly turned to him. "What?" she puzzled. "The joke I said in the library..." he twisted to face her, and their eyes met. "Oh..." Keeley hummed. She felt her face get hot, but she kept eye contact with Owen. "It's alright," she stated. Owen stood up and looked away from Keeley slightly.

"Do you want to...?" he mumbled, "Want to what?" Keeley asked him while also standing up. "Actually, start going out?" he said blatantly. Keeley was surprised, not so much about him asking her out but about his nervousness. Owen never got nervous, never during his soccer games, never during a test. Keeley then surprised herself with what she said. "Aren't we already? We go out all the time" she leaned toward him, her words were clever, and her tone was playful. Owen grinned and turned to look at her "Keeley... will you go on a few dates with me so that; when the time is right, and the setting is absolutely perfect, I can ask you to be my girlfriend?" Keeley clenched her fists as a large, warbled smile grew. "Yes!" she choked out as she threw her arms around Owen, and he wrapped his arms around her waist in return.