Part 27

Keeley and Owen sat in the front seats of Owen's car; Keeley had her phone plugged in with an aux cord and was playing her liked songs playlist on Spotify. Owen rested his right hand on Keeley's left hand over the cup holders between them. They sat in silence the whole drive to her house, but both had smiles on their faces. Keeley would occasionally hum along with whatever song was playing; Owen would glance at her every time she did. She never noticed since she was facing out her side window the entire time. They pulled up in front of Keeley's house; Her door was next to the sidewalk, she began to push her door open and step out, but Owen pulled her back in lightly, still clutching her hand. Owen unfolded his hand from hers to rest on his open palm. He pecked the top of Keeley's hand and then looked directly into her eyes, "Goodnight," he hummed. His voice was buttery and calm; it sent a mild shiver up Keeley's spine, and she pulled her hand out of his "Night!" she said blatantly, then climbed out of the car and quickly shut the door. Keeley hurried to her front door as Owen watched her from his car. Once she pulled the door open, he pulled away. Keeley stood in the doorway with her arms crossed and watched his car until it was out of sight; she smiled lightly and turned to walk into her house.

Inside, Keeley's brother was sitting on the couch with black and green headphones on his head, a microphone stuck out one side and floated in front of his mouth on a wire; a multiplayer shooting game on the TV. He was repeating, "Easy, easy, easy," into the microphone to the point where it got obnoxious. Keeley's parents were hurrying around the kitchen preparing dinner; Her mom was heating a store-bought soup as her dad pulled a homemade loaf of bread out of the oven. Keeley's dad turned to face Keeley when she walked through the door; He was holding the bread, still in its pan, with his hands mitted. "Keeley! You're home late. How was school?" her dad exclaimed.

"It was good," Keeley replied. Her mom budged into the conversation. "Where were you?" she demanded. Keeley signed, "At the park with my friend..." she murmured. "What friend?" her mom insisted. "Owen, mom... my friend Owen" Keeley groaned. Her mom tsked and turned back to the soup to stir it. "That boy who brought you home after you snuck out to see him?" Her mom grunted. Keeley got defensive. "I didn't- it wasn't-" she paused. "Yeah... him," she huffed. Her mom didn't turn to look at her again while Keeley glared at her. Keeley's dad stood between them, glancing back and forth. "Dinner should be ready soon, Keels," her dad said as he rested the bread pan on the counter and scraped the bread out with a dull knife. "Im not hungry...." Keeley mumbled. Her dad sliced a piece of bread from the loaf and handed it to her. As she took the bread slice, her dad leaned toward her. "I'll bring a bowl to your room," he whispered and winked. Keeley couldn't help but grin at him; he didnt know why Keeley and her mom were being so hostile right now and why it was so severe, but they had always been that way. They were cold to each other, and Keeley's dad had gotten used to being on both ends.