Chapter 36: King Of The Giants

All of them walked towards the door of the entarnce of the dungeon. It was a big door.

Oscar: We made it.

Rosey: Is this your first time in a highly level dungeon?

Oscar: Yeah.

Kirito looks at Yui all down.

Kirito: Yui, what's wrong?

Yui: Well, this is just a hypothesis... But in one respect, ALfheim Online differs greatly from the other The Seed Project VRMMOs. The Cardinal System operating the game is not a stripped-down version. It's a copy of the full-spec version used in the former Sword Art Online.

David: Full-spec version?

Yui: The original Cardinal System had an auto-generation system for quest. Via its networks, it gathered traditions and legend from all over the world, and used or rearranged terms and story patterns from them to generate infinite quests.

Kirito: Then, is this quest an auto-generated one that Cardinal made?

Yui: From the way that NPC was acting, it's likely. Which means that, depending on how the story plays out, it could go all the way to the myth's end. According to the data in my archives, this quest and ALO itself are based on Norse mythology, which culminates in a so-called "final war." Not only will the frost giants invade from Nifiheim or Jötunheim, but flame giants from an even lower level, Muspelheim, will appear, and burn down the entire World Tree...

Excalibur: You're kidding, right?

Leafa: Ragnarok, the Twilight of the Gods. That's impossible. There's no way a game would destroy its own maps and environment!

Yui: An original Cardinal System. has the access level necessary to destory an entire map. Because the original Cardinal System's last task was to destory the floating castle, Aincard.

Leafa: No...

Lisbeth: But what about my shop?

Klein: I haven't even found my soul mate yet.

Sinon: Even if Ragnarok happens before our eyes, wouldn't the system use a backup to restore things to normal?

Yui: No, the data inside Cardinal's automatic backups only allows it to roll back player data, but not field data.

Klein: Oh, I got it.

Klein opens up his holo-window.

Klein: On second thought, nevermind.

Yang: What were you trying to do?

Klein: I was trying to contact a GM to see if they knew about this but it's not their support hours yet.

David: It is Sunday morning and almost the New Year's, after all.

Simon: True.

Leafa: David, there's not much time left.

David: Alright. Let's hurry and finish this and save our home.

Everyone: Yeah!

Timeskip

They fight against Golden and Black Minotaurus after they beat Cyclops. Sinon tries to shoot an arrow at Black Minotaurus but the Golden one grabs the arrow with his hand and crushes it. The Black one heals both himself and the golden one.

Rosey: I seriously hate bosses that can heal themselves.

Leafa: This is bad. The yellow one's physical defenses are too high!

Klein: Too bad we don't have a mage that can hit it with magic.

Lisbeth: Oh great. Do you of all people say that? The black one with high magic resistance would just absorb it anyway.