73: True Power

Running Up That Hill (Epic Orchestra) - Mathias Fritsche

❝If I only could

I'd make a deal with God

And get him to swap our places❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
TRUE POWER
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

(Double update! if you haven't read the chapter before this one, read that first!!)

Gwen looks around through half lidded eyes due to the strain her mind was put through. They're in the place Gwen was in when she was last in Vecna's trace, the place where she saw Chrissy's body tied to a tree. Everything is red, thunder roars in the sky above, and the vines on her limbs tighten, causing Gwen's fingertips and toes to become tingly.

Gwen forces herself to stay awake as a clock chimes in front of them. Gwen looks to see Vecna carry Max's unconscious body to another wall where vines move to hold her in place.

"Papa is dead!" Eleven exclaims, gaining both Vecna and Gwen's attention. "I know what he did to you," Eleven says through a trembling voice as Vecna starts to approach. "You we're different. Like us. And he hurt you. He made you into this. He is the monster, Henry. Not you."

Vecna stands in front of her and Gwen and tilts his head. "You're right. You and I, we are different," Vecna turns to Gwen with narrowed eyes. "Papa did hurt me. But he was no monster. He was just a man, an ordinary, mediocre man. That is why he sought greatness in others. That is why I was punished when Ten's greatness was wasted."

Gwen shakes her head as her eyes begin to water. "I didn't want her to die. She wasn't supposed to die."

"But she did. And you let it happen," he responds harshly causing Gwen to let out a choked sob.

"You wanted to leave too," Gwen cries and shakes her head. "We couldn't stay there."

"You're right. We could not stay there, because in the end, he could not control us. He could not shape us. He could not change us," He turns back to Eleven. "Do you not see, Eleven? He did not make me into this. You did... When you first opened the gate and sent me through, at first, I believed you had sent me to my death. To purgatory. But I was wrong. I was somewhere new. I became an explorer. An explorer of a realm unspoiled by mankind. I saw so many things. And one day, I found the most extraordinary thing of all. Something that would change everything. I saw a means to realize my potential, to transcend my human form, to become the predator I was always born to be."