𝟏𝟏 | 𝐱𝐨

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐙𝐄

"DO YOU TALK TO MY BROTHER?"

My lips parted in exhalation as I arched my jaw and reinforced the grasp on the steering wheel. The spontaneous rise in warmth within the car battled against the night breeze, sweeping through Audrey's side window, clashing with her whispers that were like caresses in the dark.

While we had only been on the route for twenty minutes, it felt like we had been there for more than an hour. I felt some sense of security from the fact that most of the journey had been hushed because we weren't arguing with each other.

Although I was a logical person, some people—including Audrey—truly drew out the objectively agitated part of me. Even during varsity football, which I only participated in for the sake of extracurriculars, I doubted I exhibited or was privy to half the emotions seeping out of me, since my return to Terence.

"I asked you a question." Audrey spoke up louder.

"Elyas is always busy." I wasn't sure how else to word it. "So what's the deal with you and Adam?"

"That isn't what we were talking about." She snapped. "It's certainly not of your concern either."

"What do you want to know Audrey?" I defeatedly said.

"Why you decided to come back." She changed her focus.

"Isn't it obvious?" I bartered with her. "Listen to me."

"I'm listening." She argued. "Give me a real answer."

"I have important things to do here." I stated nonchalantly. "I've mentioned that repeatedly. It's getting boring now."

"What kind of important things?" Audrey pestered incessantly. "It's all I hear you saying. Yet you don't clarify yourself."

"Work related things." I tried to explain calmly. "That's all. Work is what ultimately brings me back, that's the truth."

"El told me." She uttered loudly. "You're a Fed now. What's someone in the FBI like you doing in a shit-hole of a town like this?"

A low hiss escaped my mouth, unintentionally. She was getting under my skin and all she was stating was facts about me, and it wasn't like I wasn't proud of my career, but she evidently disapproved of it.

I made the mistake of looking to my side and found Audrey fixated on my face. She was completely engrossed, her forehead strained, her frames reflecting me. I didn't need to peek into her head to see that it was overflowing with questions and turmoil.

"You want to go inside and sit or grab the food for takeaway?"

The vehicle came to a standstill before the burger joint and I was grateful for the distraction. My avoidance of addressing her inquiry was blatant, but I had to articulate myself to prevent stirring up further dispute.