𝟎𝟗 | 𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐛

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 | 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐙𝐄

I WAS NECK-DEEP IN THE TYPE OF PAPERWORK THAT MADE ME LET OUT DEEP EXHALES.

The BAU may have only been established in the early 1970s in an attempt to reduce the rising number of homicides and sexual offences in the country, but obtaining justice wasn't simple in any situation.

Founded by two pioneering Agents that tested the fervour and focus of many; their principal objective was to study offenders who were confined, in an effort to learn insights that would in theory assist, prevent, or solve wrongdoings.

The purpose was to examine the crime from a behavioural perspective, concentrating on the criminals' motivations.

The Unit which was now split into sections, even had its involvements earlier on in profiling and helping bringing justice to sick bastards like Bundy and Dahmer, only because of the elements of psyche explored.

While the study of criminal behaviour wasn't new, the use of psychology to create profiles of a criminal was coming to light, even if law enforcement relied primarily on hard evidence. No matter how many laurels were amassed, the reality of becoming a Special Agent at that too comprised doing a lot more bureaucracy than charging into creepy basements with guns blazing.

Up until I was sitting with Lee Hwang and counting numbers, I didn't fully acknowledge it.

Sevda was right when she said we had no authority over something like this. We never took over a case from the authorities; instead, we offered support while keeping a safe distance from the investigation.

In any case, the work was less emotionally taxing than it appeared from the sidelines. We were essentially operating in the shadows because we weren't dealing with the issues that the detectives on the front lines were. The instances would be examined as clinically as possible, which would lead to a conclusion.

At times it was due to our own faults, mine even —that ultimately jeopardised the outcome and set things back. Which addressed why I was in my current position; everything was merely a pretext to have me reviewed and then controlled in a cookie cutter organisation.

Peters' though, for whatever reason, was trying to give me a chance to shine by putting me as a lead on this case that had risen. He wanted me at the forefront and living up to my Supervisory title and wanted me to trust he was doing what was in everyone's best interest.

"Dude, I'm two staplers away from ending it all."

Lee winced and let out a big sigh as he exited from behind the file he had been hiding in. His hair was dishevelled from reading for so long, and his face lacked any sign of contentment. He didn't anticipate his first week being so tedious here. He claimed he regretted getting on the flight at all from Quantico.

The stapler in question was set on a stack of ruined papers, coffee stains from his own spillage, which had occurred when he challenged me to an arm wrestle of all things to combat the painful hours that started the day off.