𝟎𝟐 | 𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 | 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐙𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 | 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐙𝐄

"DAMN YOU TASTE GOOD."

The sight of my Intelligence Agent tucking into his food was a comically disturbing one, but I humoured myself for a moment as I crept up behind him at his desk and realised he was talking to it, like it was a person coming to life right before him.

"Cantonese food never disappoints. Never."

Lee Hwang tucked back into his food as if his life depended on it, completely engrossed in the container that held his dinner together. He was so invested in it that he didn't even notice that someone was in his pristine office.

It was only when I dropped the stack of papers to his left, that he scrambled in his chair and I had to hold back the laughter that I wished to never grace anyone with, not even him, who I'd had the unfortunate pleasure of knowing for almost five years now. By the time he turned around, I was already at a safe distance, leaning against the door frame, watching him with emotionless eyes.

"Come on, Lee, don't stop on my accord. I was enjoying you talking to your dumplings like they had spouted ears." I drawled. "Honestly, how do you get all the girls?"

"They're Dim sums. Uncultured much?" He shook his head. "Do you want some? I get all the girls, because I actually listen and pay attention. To get somebody, you'd have to leave your damn desk and not be such a grumpy prick."

"I had a sandwich, I'm good." I replied, and he relaxed, because I was the only one allowed to invade his work space.

"I'll get through these as soon as I can." Lee skimmed the files by him with alert eyes. "But paper? I thought I told you it's easier when it's on a flash drive, get with it, please. It's going to take me ten years to get through these."

"I'm old school, you know that. Take your time, anyways." I exhaled, pinching the bridge of my nose, "I have to wait a moment for Peters. I'm hoping an office exchange is coming my way, because my desk is getting too small to sit in."

"Don't complain, Agent Thayer, look at me in my snug shoe box. You have a nice view from where you sit. Trade you?" Lee perked up, and tilted his head.

"SSA," I corrected him, a cocky tilt of the head, "Six months strong."

"Almost." He taunted me. "Don't forget that you still have
Superiors."

With a wave of his hands, Lee dismissed me, and I walked away, not wanting to disturb his sole opportunity to unwind as he worked behind the scenes. I was padding down the corridor, heading for the regional point, and then strolled into my station, which was located on a high-rise platform in the Division Chief sector.

He was correct; I did have a very good view from where I was situated. That was one of the perks of my recent promotion to Special Supervisory Agent. My new role came after a recent backlog, since the department was getting swamped as a result of an influx of rookies, particularly into the Behavioural Analysis Unit. I was grateful regardless, I knew I was one of the youngest they had ever taken in.