𝟐𝟏 | 𝐚𝐜𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 | 𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘

"BHAI?"

Elyas encompassed me in a tight hug before I could turn away. His gelled hair brushed my cheek as he planted a kiss there, chuckles erupting from his throat, while his big arms finally let go of me.

I had just about entered the household with Tia at my side, tip-toeing so as not to capture any unwanted attention after last nights predicament, only to be met by my brother's family waiting in the foyer, eager as beavers.

However there really was no time to process the presence of Elyas wearing the finest cashmere sweater and his doting, model-looking wife Salma either, when my favourite person in the whole wide world had catapulted herself at me —purple frog and all —curly hair bouncing everywhere.

"Aunt Nomi!" Irena chirped, legs wrapping around my waist.

"Hey kid." I gasped, taking in her wide smile. "You're here."

"Surprise!" Salma beamed and leaned into Elyas naturally.

"Hello?" My brother grinned at my friend warmly.

"Tia..." I introduced. "Meet my family."

"Hey!" Tia waved at Salma and Elyas.

The pair of us then cooed over my niece and I practically let her gnaw my ear off as we navigated through to the living room chambers, past the hall where luggages had been left, indicating they were planning to stay for some time. 

Elyas had easy access to the house, he was the only one who knew of my spare key, or rather ours —that was planted in a pot out on the porch. It wasn't the safest place to put it in, but I was only mildly concerned when my security alarm alerted me, and a familiar head cropped up.

I just had to get here fast enough to believe it, still dressed up in last nights ensemble, mascara smudged underneath my eyes like I had been crying, when in reality I had rubbed it hours on end, in an enraged fit of insanity due to a lack of sleep.

"I can't believe you're here." I uttered breathlessly, still reeling from shock, it was still early in the morning after all and their appearance had been out of the blue and unpredictable.

"Thought we'd surprise you." Elyas grinned at me, flashing looked after teeth and his dimples, the same ones I always had been jealous over, because I wanted Baba's smile too.

"Your brother was given ample time to take off from work and it was only communicated at the very last minute." Salma mused thoughtfully. "We had a few days to book the tickets and pack, so we didn't want to stress you with anything, especially with studies ongoing."

"I can do that with my eyes closed." I smirked, and playfully tugged at Irena's hair. "Another degree is the least of my worries, work is what consumes most of my energy. But regardless, I'm just so happy you're here. Why don't you both freshen up, and we'll get some breakfast ready?"