𝟏𝟒 | 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐝

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | 𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘

HE WAS WATCHING. Without shame, oddly. He observed me as the evening went on, his eyes accompanying me as I left with Jameson. He even followed us into the chambers and made a feeble effort to conceal himself near the balcony.

I tried not to crumble away at the intensity of his eyes, while goosebumps spread along me like wildfire. The skin around my neck and ears were already sensitive, due to being adorned with discrete gold pieces passed through my great grandmother —except Blaze Thayer and his scorching stare had an abhorrent effete on me.

Kris Jameson was paying close attention too, because, for some reason, he had spent the last thirty minutes by me, while I had relentlessly tried to flee from Adam, whom had vanished himself.

The Detective was not only competent, but also good looking. It was challenging to overlook how attractive he was and how whatever the absurd logic, he had taken a keen interest in me tonight —inviting me to the private chambers.

Jameson and I were engaging in small talk. He went as far as to showcase fascination with my professional life and asked me to elaborate on what I did even. I proceeded to disregard Blaze and his existence, because all he was doing was trying to get under my skin.

It was utterly amusing that I was warming up beside someone who was hell-bent on catching...myself. So when he then urged me to call him Kris in that husky tone of his, I had to hold back a wheeze.

The truth was, I didn't want Jameson sniffing around me, although perhaps I could take pleasure in his burning curiosity in me. I permitted him to approach me on purpose so I could detect his blatantly masculine scent, which had been disguised underneath unbridled power. He naturally had a fairly high opinion of himself.

Except just as he inched closer to me, we were distracted by the aftermath of a resounding thud and Blaze making his appearance apparent. He practically sprinted out from behind the draperies, exposing himself on the balcony as he bowed his head in front of the rails, his eyes quickly surveying his surroundings as he was on high alert.

"Agent Thayer, what the fuck is going on?" Jameson acknowledged him, irritated.

"Blaze." I breathed out harshly, wanting to go up to him and kick his groin.

"We need to secure the perimeter." Blaze stated clearly. "Speak with the Reporting Officer on duty tonight. Call an ambulance. Get an ME. Not a single person leaves this place. Not one."

Jameson exhaled and followed his gaze to the spot below, where what appeared to be the body of a young woman, who was sprawled out on the ground.

The deceased individual's face had become stripped of hue and all sign of life, while a crowd formed around her and piercing cries echoed through the air.