𝟏𝟔 | 𝐬𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | 𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘

HE WORKED OUT AND IT SHOWED. I didn't bother ignoring that his presence awoke something inside me, stirred something illicit deep in my core, that forced me to squeeze my legs. The second my hand met firm muscle underneath it, I knew I was past the point of staying away.

Bad omen or not, he was agitated enough to have been here to share whatever was going on, in his hidden psyche. Troubled to the extent that he would have shared the specifics of what work he was conducting behind the scenes, if it meant he was somewhat taking care of me.

I was without a doubt, beyond denying him being around me. Blaze had eyes that could see right into the essence of me, and I resented that they pierced the precise part of me that was supposed to be incapable of feeling anything, for people like him.

He would always be around.

Here.

We had swiftly tucked into the cobbler, which wasn't excessively sweet or rich, but had the appropriate amount of layers, helping disguise the awkwardness that ensued at first.

It was all okay, until Adam suggested that Blaze would have to hang around for pizza which we had ordered prior to his arrival. My appetite had dropped from merely being stuck in my position alone.

I dismissed myself and went to put on a dress and my glasses after becoming increasingly aware that I was still only wearing my bikini. I was relieved to have been taken away from the men and their stilted small talk, which sliced into me like a jagged knife.

By the time I came back down, the pizza was here and Adam was setting out plates, which made me crinkle my nose in disgust. It was only appropriate to have the slices straight out of the box, and Blaze seemed to think so too.

For a moment I wished that the ground would open up and I would be swallowed by it, especially when both my brother's friend and I reached at the same time for a slice and Adam's breath hitched.

"You like seafood?" He stiffly piped up.

"No aversion to it." Blaze merely responded.

"Lobster is my favourite." I told him so easily.

"Costly at that too." Adam commented.

"Well it is gourmet pizza." I muttered.

"So, Blaze..." Adam started conversationally, sitting across from him. "Everybody thinks the killer was at the Gala. In fact it is the only plausible explanation. That girl was drained of blood, wasn't she?"

"She wasn't, or we don't know for sure." Blaze said calmly. "What happened to her was unfortunate. It was certainly cruel and barbaric and the person behind it will surely be held accountable."

"She didn't kill herself then?" Adam pressed, mid-bite.

"I'm not at discretion to disclose every detail." Blaze drawled.