Beam

"What happened? How did it escalate to this?"

I just glared at Forth. I filled him in and he tsked. He told me to give Lam one more chance as he probably said that in a fit of anger. However, I just shook my head.

"Even I know when to draw the line. It's cool. I will step back. And I guess your wish came true. You wouldn't have to do the impossible of trying to date Pha as the impossibility of wanting to date Lam is true."

Forth looked at me sadly and ruffled my hair as we had lunch. Just then Lam came by and he saw Forth ruffling my hair. He didn't say anything but he just glared for a bit. I figured he didn't want me around so I took my lunch and got a take away pretending I had to go see Pha and Kit over some lab work. I took off before Lam could say anything further to embarrass me.

Forth just watched stupefied as to how fast I just upped and disappeared. I went back to Medical but both Pha and Kit weren't around. Kit had gone to meet Yo for lunch and Pha was in his dorm, unwell. I just sat down to have my lunch when about 10 minutes later, someone walked up to me. I just looked up to chase the person away not wanting to have company but realised it was Lam.

"Can I sit here?"

I looked at him for a bit before nodding my head. He sat down and had his drink as I continued my lunch.

"I wanted to apologise. Sorry for my choice of words."

I looked up at him in surprise. "Hmm?"

"I am not interested in dating. Its not just you. Its anyone else. But I shouldn't have said you are harassing me. I kinda blew it with my words that night in a fit of anger. Sorry..."

I just kept quiet, mulling over his words. Finally I replied, "It's fine. I guess I should also know when to step back. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

"It's ok. I'm just curious. Why do you even like me though? Am I like some kind of...."

"Challenge? Is that what you thought? A conquest?"

Lam nodded sheepishly. I just chuckled!

"I really can't blame you huh. My rep indeed precedes me. I was like that till a year ago. But all that flew out the window as I got to know you. And to be honest, if I have stopped playing the field, it's because I only want to be with you. But to each his own."

"Beam...."

"Hey. Let's just remain as friends. Or acquaintances by default as we both know Forth. Don't worry about it and your apology is accepted."

I smiled, finished off my lunch and then I took my leave. Just as I walked away, Lam stopped me.

"You never told me why you like me."

"That's for me to know and for you to find out. Bye Lam!"

I chuckled as Lam watched me stride off. He would never know but even Forth, Pha and Kit have asked me many times on why do I like Lam so much. Like what do I see in that grumpy gloomy Ice Prince?

Most people just see a grumpy, gloomy fellow who is forever glaring, reticent with his words, equally as short tempered and doesn't care much for people.

But what I saw was a fellow who knew what he wanted, never took crap from everyone, was the kindest around children and elderly, often spending his free time feeding the strays around our uni campus post soccer and Sotus, the fellow who sits and helps his juniors with their work and then just disappears quietly, never taking credit, always looking out for his friends in his own way.

He's only gloomy and grumpy because he cares that much.

If only they can see the way I see it.