Pha

I heard the constant knocks and calls but I avoided them all. I really wasn't in the mood to hear Forth or anyone out.

I took a shower and retired to bed though I barely slept. I woke up around 7am as usual, despite it being a Sunday, wanting to just go get some coffee and go bury myself in books.

Studying was and has always been my comfort zone. I should just stick to that. Why did I let myself get swayed by people and feelings? It just comes to nought.

I opened the door only to be startled as Forth was standing there. I looked at him as he straightened himself up.

"Can we talk please?"

"There's nothing for us to talk about Forth. Why are you here? Go home."

"There is. Its about last night."

"There was a fight. Guy didn't get the hint. So I had to just tell the truth. But don't worry. I'm ok. I be ok."

"It's that..  I didn't mean to take my arms off. I was.. just.."

"Does it discomfort you that I'm gay?"

"Can you don't?! I have gay friends. What do you mean by that?"

"Then all is well. Its fine. Maybe you were just stunned by my confession. Its ok."

"But it wasn't right of me to have done that.i didn't mean to. I was in shock. But I failed to think how you must have felt. I'm sorry Pha."

"It's ok Forth. Nothing for you to be sorry about. I mean I do look like the straightest guy in the room. So you must have been shocked. Its ok. Don't worry. I'm not alone. I got Beam and Kit."

"And me too. You know that right?"

I just smiled, insisting that I was going to go get my morning coffee and breakfast and that he should go. I told him I will text him later and pushed him away. Forth left albeit reluctantly but I was insistent. As he walked away, my heart dropped a little bit more.

I really had to go and fall for the wrong guy, the most unavailable of the lot. But what's my secret shall remain as it is.

Beam and Kit came to see me too but I put up the same facade as I did with Forth. They could tell outright I was lying but decided to cut me some slack.

The next few weeks, I just buried myself in books and studying. I didn't go for the outings organised as I was busy with my work. It was normal so nobody said anything but 1 person was particularly missing me. Forth. I had left all of his messages on unread and the times when he called, I claimed I was super busy and hung up.

This went on for a month until one day, Lam called me to go check on Forth. He had been sick for a bit but refused to see a doctor and it was worsening. He said even Beam went to check on him but was chased away. He requested a favor from me. I sighed but agreed to go check on Forth after classes on Friday.

I went over and knocked on Forth's door. A little while later, he opened the door, looking quite terrible. He was all flushed and appeared to be running a high fever.

"Are you ok?! Why didn't you go see a doctor?"

"Because I was hoping if I held on long enough, you would come."

"Are you mad? To be playing with your health like this?"

"If it means you come to see me, scold me, nag at me, anything. As long as I see you. Yes I am mad. I take that risk."