Beam

Around 10ish, Lam came by to my dorm to pick me up.

"Are you tired? We can skip it. Its not a must, you know?"

"Let's not. It be fun. Plus its a nice chilly night out. I got my bike. Lets go. But before that, you need to wear warm."

Lam shrugged out his jacket and made me put it on.

"Then you?"

"I got an alternative."

I nodded and we went down. I got onto his bike and Lam took off. At the first traffic light, Lam pulled me closer towards him and wrapped my arms around him. "There you go, my alternative."

I chuckled at his cheesiness. It was a smooth uninterrupted ride and we reached the beach about 40 minutes later. We bought some beers from the nearby mini mart and hung out at the beach.

"How's Forth been?"

"He's been ok. Pha scolded him properly for falling sick and he's been behaving since then."

I chuckled. "I never pegged Forth to be such a silly fellow. Really? They aren't even boyfriends. And he cannot even take it that's he's being ignored. What if they were really a couple?"

"You think that would happen?"

" I'm not sure but I feel like Forth likes Pha but hasn't realized it yet. Hes only this silly towards people he loves. But he often doesn't realize it."

Lam chuckled softly.

"Then how about people who realize they love someone and that the feelings are mutual but yet don't act on it?"

"Well they must have their reasons. They could be afraid of rejection? Failure? I don't know. Its never easy to confess so to each his own."

We fell silent, just partaking in the air, chugging beers and watching the waves. I felt a bit tired and decided to lie down.

"Tired?" Lam uttered softly as he laid next to me.

"It's been a long day but thank you for this. A very much needed breather."

Lam just hummed but came closer and just snuck his arms around me so I could lay on his chest instead. I turned my body towards him slightly and just watched his chest rise up and down rhymtically.

"Beam.. I been wanting to tell you something. I'm just not sure on how to put it to you."

"Sure, what's up? It's fine. Just spit it out na."

"Remember l, I once asked you about what do you like about me?"

"Yea and I recall telling you it's for me to know and for you to find out."

Lam kept quiet. I looked at him. "You ok?"

Lam nodded. But then he uttered, "But what if I told you what I like about you?"

I looked at him questionably. Where was he going with this?

"Lamm.."

"I like you because you are funny and laidback. You are chill. You know how to party and have fun. You are always with a smile. But yet you also love strongly. Firmly. Politely. And you know how to draw the boundaries. I like you because I realize you are everything I want once I stopped seeing you for whom I thought you were. And the like I have for you isn't the same as for Park or Forth. Its the same feelings that you have for me."

I stared dumbfounded at him. Is he seriously, literally, wait, did he just tell me? Wait, what?!

I sat up instantly, hair be damned. Lam sat up next to me, trying to tidy my hair for me when I grabbed his hand.

"Are you telling me what I think you are telling me?"

"I'm telling you what I should have told you sometime ago."

I closed my eyes and tried to push back any tears that was threatening to spill down. I felt Lam come closer and kiss me on my forehead.

I opened my eyes to see him eye to eye, nose to nose. He rubbed my face endearingly as he whispered, "I love you abit too much to let you go to others. Linn may be understanding but there wouldn't be a Linn everytime. I don't want to lose you before realizing I love you. Will you be my boyfriend?"

Sweet mother Jesus.

Maybe I do have some karma earned somewhere despite my history. I nodded as Lam took me in for a kiss, losing ourselves to the environment around us, just cocooned in our own little bubble.